Sign in with
Your question

Monitor internet usage on a wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 27, 2012 8:53:24 PM

Hello,
we have a high speed internet and my modem is capable of wireless what I want to know, is there a way that I can monitor how much my daughter is on her computer and what websites she is visiting without having to install a program on her notebook or having to check her history etc? I would like to be able to do it all from my computer, thanks for any help everyone
a b C Monitor
April 28, 2012 8:47:28 PM

While there is software that you can install on her machine to monitor her usage, I would opt for a different approach -- on her machine install a hosts file block to disallow any "bad" places using the free hosts file at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Then I would block any specific sites, and apply scheduling to only allow Internet use during "allowed" times in your router -- most modern routers have scheduling and site blocking capability.

Oh, and third have a little talk so that she understands that if she goes places that she is not allowed she loses computer and phone (including cell phone) privileges for a month -- nothing like encouraging self control. :) 
m
l
Related resources
!