how to know what sound card driver to install?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 26, 2005 9:37:02 PM

When I scan hardware changes in device manager, multimedia audio
controller has ? icon, and I guess I need to install
sound card driver. But the problem is I don't know
what sound card driver to install. Or maybe I don't even have sound
card installed in my computer, how can I tell?

Please advise because I really don't know too much about that.

thanks!!
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:12:14 PM

On 26 Feb 2005 18:37:02 -0800, jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote:

>When I scan hardware changes in device manager, multimedia audio
>controller has ? icon, and I guess I need to install
>sound card driver. But the problem is I don't know
>what sound card driver to install. Or maybe I don't even have sound
>card installed in my computer, how can I tell?

If there are sockets on the back for headphones, microphone etc. it's
a fair bet you have some sort of sound system installed.

No, I can't guess what it might be either :-) Perhaps if you gave us
a clue? What make/model computer would be a good starting point.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:06:22 PM

jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote:
> When I scan hardware changes in device manager, multimedia audio
> controller has ? icon, and I guess I need to install sound card
> driver. But the problem is I don't know what sound card driver to
> install. Or maybe I don't even have sound card installed in my
> computer, how can I tell?
>
> Please advise because I really don't know too much about that.
>
> thanks!!

Is the sound card built on your computer's motherboard? (Often 3 ports
vertically polarized near your computers USB and serial ports). Or is it
a seperate card? (Often 3+ ports horizontally polarized, sometimes there
is a game port type thing too).

It's likely that you have one built onto your computer's motherboard, if
this is the case try the disk marked system drivers or some such
labeling, may have something on there.

If you don't have a driver disk then you could open the machine up and
look for identifications on the motherboard (often a serial number
printed in white ink between two of the expansion sockets). Then use
google to look up the board's manufacturer and log into their download
section.

If you do have a seperate card then you can remove it and search for
either markings on the board or markings on the 'main' big chip.

If you find some information, post it here, we maybe able to point you
in the right direction.

--
Regards,
Aaron.

"Aaron Horn" <Aaron@Aaronhorn.co.ukREMOVEME> wrote in message
> jrefactors@hotmail.com wrote:
> > When I scan hardware changes in device manager, multimedia audio
> > controller has ? icon, and I guess I need to install sound card
> > driver. But the problem is I don't know what sound card driver to
> > install. Or maybe I don't even have sound card installed in my
> > computer, how can I tell?
> >
> > Please advise because I really don't know too much about that.
> >
> > thanks!!
> >

> Is the sound card built on your computer's motherboard? (Often 3 ports
> vertically polarized near your computers USB and serial ports). Or is it
> a seperate card? (Often 3+ ports horizontally polarized, sometimes there
> is a game port type thing too).
>
> It's likely that you have one built onto your computer's motherboard, if
> this is the case try the disk marked system drivers or some such
> labeling, may have something on there.
>
> If you don't have a driver disk then you could open the machine up and
> look for identifications on the motherboard (often a serial number
> printed in white ink between two of the expansion sockets).

Easier way is to install and run something like AIDA32 (free). It gives you
lots of details about all your installed hardware including the model of
your MB.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:48:39 AM

Ian S wrote:

> Easier way is to install and run something like AIDA32 (free). It gives you
> lots of details about all your installed hardware including the model of
> your MB.

Indeed or Everest Home Edition:-

Dunno why I forgot to suggest this, maybe I like things more
complicated!

--
Regards,
Aaron.