linux newbie2

G

hi
I have installed 3 times linux mandrake 8.1 but when he finished installing he asked me to login and I have tried to but in vain,do I need a key just like windows or sth else,and what mean a root password?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
a root [assword is the one you enter during the install- the part when it erm, how can I put this, asks for a root password.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

roomy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i think root means the superuser password. you need this to mess up your computer... its like windows except in windows your OS screws up your computer for you.... BSOD forever.

Otaku

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001
When installing Mandrake, it asks you for a root password and then it asks you if you want to create more user accounts.
Let´s explain that, the root "user" is like the administrator in windows, it is the "user" that can make changes in the system configuration, and everything like that. It´s like a god. To log in as root, you have to type root at the login prompt and then the password you entered when installing mdk (mandrake).
It´s the same with different users, but they won´t be able to make critical changes in the system configuration.
To change the password, log in and then type passwd at the command line.

Hope that helps!