Been asked to spec a general purpose server

ka13

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice. I work at a small company (9 PCs) and we are moving office. As the most technical person in the company (and I'm the creative... so...) I've been asked to figure out what we need as protection in the new office as, when we get there, we'll simply have a line coming in to a router that we already own.

I have a fairly good technical theory background (i.e. I can sound like I know what I'm talking about, sometimes).

The server needs:

a) to run ms exchange
b) offer a backup solution
c) offer internet traffic protection and traffic logging.
d) be sturdy enough to grow to ~30 employees and not melt.

I'm assuming the server sits between the line in and the router?

I realise this is horribly general, but if anyone can at least point me in the right direction concerning hardware reqs, OS and software ideas. We have a "decent" budget but lets try for low cost solutions :love:

If this is in a really inappropriate place, I do apologise.

thank you all,

kevin.

a, b, and d are trivial; just about any Windows server will do those simple tasks. However, c should be a separate appliance.

And no, you do NOT want to run the server naked to the Internet unless you are VERY knowledgeable with Windows server security ;) Keep it behind the router and forward ONLY the ports you need for Exchange.

ka13

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Thanks, as you can see, I'm a bit clueless. I thought the router had to be on the other side as it was where all the lan cables plugged in 0.o

On that idea tho, if it's internet -> router -> server then where DO all the PCs plugin?

thanks!