Sound cards redux

Last response: in Home Audio
February 28, 2005 7:54:06 PM

My hunt for a superior sound card (for measurement purposes) at a
significantly lower price, has led me to:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...

Very impressive performance, at a respectable price. It will be used with
various measurement software. I have absolutely no interest in sound
effects, music performance, MIDI, or any other gee gaws. I am ONLY
interested in sheer grunt. Are there any independent tests on this (or
other) sound cards available (apart from PCAVTECH, of course)? Not that I
have any problems with Mr Krueger's site (I don't), except that it is a
little out of date now.

Any thoughts?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

More about : sound cards redux

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 7:54:07 PM

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> My hunt for a superior sound card (for measurement purposes) at a
> significantly lower price, has led me to:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...

> Very impressive performance, at a respectable price. It will be used
> with various measurement software. I have absolutely no interest in
> sound effects, music performance, MIDI, or any other gee gaws. I am
> ONLY interested in sheer grunt. Are there any independent tests on
> this (or other) sound cards available (apart from PCAVTECH, of
> course)? Not that I have any problems with Mr Krueger's site (I
> don't), except that it is a little out of date now.

Well, its not like Emu sent me any cards to test. If I would want to test
these cards I'm sure I'm quite free to do so on my own nickel.

> Any thoughts?

Yes - a lot of the software that is used for technical purposes with sound
cards is based on the Windows Multimedia (MMC) interface. The new Emu cards
have a reputation for having strong ASIO support and weaker Windows
Multimedia support. For example, only a subset of data formats have been
supported at various times.

If I were you I'd check into how these cards work with common audio analysis
software tools, including Adobe Audition and Spectra Lab.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:28:05 AM

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> My hunt for a superior sound card (for measurement purposes) at a
>> significantly lower price, has led me to:
>>

> http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...
>>
>> Very impressive performance, at a respectable price. It will be used
>> with various measurement software. I have absolutely no interest in
>> sound effects, music performance, MIDI, or any other gee gaws. I am
>> ONLY interested in sheer grunt. Are there any independent tests on
>> this (or other) sound cards available (apart from PCAVTECH, of
>> course)? Not that I have any problems with Mr Krueger's site (I
>> don't), except that it is a little out of date now.
>
> Well, its not like Emu sent me any cards to test. If I would want to test
> these cards I'm sure I'm quite free to do so on my own nickel.
>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Yes - a lot of the software that is used for technical purposes with sound
> cards is based on the Windows Multimedia (MMC) interface. The new Emu
> cards
> have a reputation for having strong ASIO support and weaker Windows
> Multimedia support. For example, only a subset of data formats have been
> supported at various times.
>
> If I were you I'd check into how these cards work with common audio
> analysis
> software tools, including Adobe Audition and Spectra Lab.

**Thanks for the tips. What you suggest may be difficult for me, without
buying the thing first. BTW: It is Spectra Lab that I will mostly use the
card with.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

>> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>>> My hunt for a superior sound card (for measurement purposes) at a
>>> significantly lower price, has led me to:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...

>>> Very impressive performance, at a respectable price. It will be used
>>> with various measurement software. I have absolutely no interest in
>>> sound effects, music performance, MIDI, or any other gee gaws. I am
>>> ONLY interested in sheer grunt. Are there any independent tests on
>>> this (or other) sound cards available (apart from PCAVTECH, of
>>> course)? Not that I have any problems with Mr Krueger's site (I
>>> don't), except that it is a little out of date now.
>>
>> Well, its not like Emu sent me any cards to test. If I would want to
>> test these cards I'm sure I'm quite free to do so on my own nickel.
>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Yes - a lot of the software that is used for technical purposes with
>> sound cards is based on the Windows Multimedia (MMC) interface. The
>> new Emu cards
>> have a reputation for having strong ASIO support and weaker Windows
>> Multimedia support. For example, only a subset of data formats have
>> been supported at various times.
>>
>> If I were you I'd check into how these cards work with common audio
>> analysis
>> software tools, including Adobe Audition and Spectra Lab.
>
> **Thanks for the tips. What you suggest may be difficult for me,
> without buying the thing first. BTW: It is Spectra Lab that I will
> mostly use the card with.

Spectra is an especially tough character. While it works in 16 bit mode with
a lot of different sound cards that have Windows Multimedia support,
operation in 24 bit mode is not as widely supported. In fact, I'v only seen
Spectra work in 24 bit mode with a LynxTwo. Check with the software vendor
for the low-down on what works and what doesn't.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 11:03:51 AM

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>>>>

> http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2209&ca...

>>> Well, its not like Emu sent me any cards to test. If I would want to
>>> test these cards I'm sure I'm quite free to do so on my own nickel.

>>> Yes - a lot of the software that is used for technical purposes with
>>> sound cards is based on the Windows Multimedia (MMC) interface. The
>>> new Emu cards
>>> have a reputation for having strong ASIO support and weaker Windows
>>> Multimedia support. For example, only a subset of data formats have
>>> been supported at various times.
>>>
>>> If I were you I'd check into how these cards work with common audio
>>> analysis
>>> software tools, including Adobe Audition and Spectra Lab.
>>
>> **Thanks for the tips. What you suggest may be difficult for me,
>> without buying the thing first. BTW: It is Spectra Lab that I will
>> mostly use the card with.
>
> Spectra is an especially tough character. While it works in 16 bit mode
> with
> a lot of different sound cards that have Windows Multimedia support,
> operation in 24 bit mode is not as widely supported. In fact, I'v only
> seen
> Spectra work in 24 bit mode with a LynxTwo. Check with the software
> vendor
> for the low-down on what works and what doesn't.

**Bugger! My Spectra dates back to 1998 and I really did not want to shell
out for a Lynx.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au