Your question

I really messed up this time...

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Command Line
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 5, 2012 5:58:18 PM

I was reading "The Command Line Crash Course" and tried to move 1 txt file from my desktop to a folder i created in the User directory with PowerShell.

All of a sudden i hear my hard drive going crazy. Checked my resource manager and it was moving tuns of data and i had no idea why.

i disconnected the internet in fear of some kind of virus, then rebooted.

Now i realize my desktop is empty. Checked the folder that i made for the CLI book tutorial and there everything was in a folder called Desktop.

But none of the files work, i must have restarted the pc in the middle of it trying to move all that data over to that folder.

Lets just says its over 300gb of data :fou: 

What do i do now?

More about : messed time

April 5, 2012 6:07:58 PM

I know it is highly looked down on to do system restores, but there was a checkpoint created yesterday when i installed java, would that bring back the files considering i lost them today?
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:15:16 PM

Why would it be looked down on to do a system restore? If you accidentally mess something up, it's there to fix it. What do you have to lose now?
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2012 6:15:27 PM

It's not highly looked down on to do system restores, it's just something that hardly ever works. If you allowed your computer to compile retore points and you can use them, then do so. Nothing can happen that's worse than what you did...which I really don't know how you did this by moving a .txt file.
Btw, are you sure the data you're trying to access is opening using the correct file type? Try right-clicking and open using the correct program.
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:22:29 PM

Kill it... Kill it whit fire :joke: :( 
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:29:00 PM

roll back just your users desktop folder using the windows previous version.

find C:\Users\yourname\Desktop
right click and hit properties.
then hit previous versions
select a point from before the mix up.

i am a master of shadow clone jutsu.
m
l