Best way to setup WiFi in a large fraternity?

inate36

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I've been tasked with restructuring the wireless network in my fraternity house sometime over the summer and I'm looking for some input on the best way to set it up. Currently we have a 50mbps connection from the ISP, and during the school year we have 50-60 guys living in the house. While I doubt there's ever that many people on the network at once, I'd guess everyone has at least two wireless devices they use regularly (laptop, 360, iPads, smartphones, etc.)

The house has four floors and a basement, all which require wireless access. There's dual-band routers on every floor in the house except the top right now (so Router0, Router1, Router2, Router3, each with a 2.4 and 5gHZ band) and for the past few months this setup has been extremely problematic. The house is very old, so I assume there's a lot of issues with signal blocking, but there's also times where I can't get online in the same room as one of the routers.

Are there any other options for setting up networks of this size? I've done a lot of research the past few days, but haven't found any solid answers. I was hoping I could set up one large network with signal boosters/repeaters, which would make it easier to manage bandwidth activity (like limiting P2P usage to guys hogging bandwidth, etc.)

Thanks,
Nate

Just 4 links:

One
HERE

Data sheet is HERE

Training videos are HERE

User Guide is
HERE    (I suggest right-click and "Save link as" because it is 27MB and may not be saveable if viewed by Acrobat reader X online)

Each AP unit cost about $75.00 and can be purchased on Ebay (for the best price).

This is Carrier Class equipment. It is not Plug and play. It must be setup correctly to operate as desired. It is not difficult to set these up. Read through the user guide to get an idea of what is possible with this system because it is amazing. If you act as the administrator of this system, you have certain benefits such as setting up load balancing for everyone... except yourself. :D