Need specs for drivers inside Technics SB-3130 bookshelf s..

Hi!

I have a pair of Technics SB-3130 bookshelf speakers, three way, with one 8"
woofer, one paper cone mid and one aluminium dome tweeter I fear are not
being used at their best in those cheap presswood "sealed" box. I have a
plan to recase them in new enclosures made from cut pieces of big 3/4" thick
8" diam blue aqueduct pipes, with a flat mdf baffle in the front, for the
midrange and tweeter, slightly angled up (better for the image). The woofer
would fit at the bottom of the unit, facing down, in a closed muffled
chamber of its own, the unit standing 12" or so from the floor on a couple
of spikes.

I figured the general design and science, but I'm having a REALLY hard time
finding technical specs for the drivers in there, and Technics speakers
don't seem to have any "official" presence on the WWW.

Since I need those specs badly to calculate the final box parameters, and
since i don`t have a lab to test them, I would IMMENSELY appreciate any tip
you might have, as to where I could find those specs, or contact information
to Technics speakers division.

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies

Hugo Lalumiere
1 answer Last reply
More about need specs drivers inside technics 3130 bookshelf

    Hugo Lalumiere wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a pair of Technics SB-3130 bookshelf speakers, three way, with
    one 8"
    > woofer, one paper cone mid and one aluminium dome tweeter I fear are
    not
    > being used at their best in those cheap presswood "sealed" box. I
    have a
    > plan to recase them in new enclosures made from cut pieces of big
    3/4" thick
    > 8" diam blue aqueduct pipes, with a flat mdf baffle in the front, for
    the
    > midrange and tweeter, slightly angled up (better for the image). The
    woofer
    > would fit at the bottom of the unit, facing down, in a closed muffled
    > chamber of its own, the unit standing 12" or so from the floor on a
    couple
    > of spikes.
    >
    > I figured the general design and science, but I'm having a REALLY
    hard time
    > finding technical specs for the drivers in there, and Technics
    speakers
    > don't seem to have any "official" presence on the WWW.
    >
    > Since I need those specs badly to calculate the final box parameters,
    and
    > since i don`t have a lab to test them, I would IMMENSELY appreciate
    any tip
    > you might have, as to where I could find those specs, or contact
    information
    > to Technics speakers division.

    What's wrong with doing the obvious and simply making the volume
    of your new box the same as the existing one? And, if you've "figured
    the general design and science," that would indicate you have the
    wherewithall to actually measure the drivers as well, since that
    is an integral and inextricable part of the "general science" of
    loudspeaker design.

    However, the configuration you describe has all sorts of technical
    issues. You've decided on a design without first even considering
    whether or not the drivers are suitable for the design.

    But, beyond that, I think you'll find that, as much as you might
    think otherwise, the purse you're trying to make out of these
    sow's ears will still oink. Technics is NOT known for there high-
    quality, innovative, high-performance drivers. In fact, they're
    pretty low-end units, whose main design constraint is minimal
    cost, with little, if any, thought given to performance.

Audio