Marantz Model 16 power amp, revisited

Last response: in Home Audio
March 3, 2005 1:59:32 PM

When the contacts on the speaker output relays of my old Marantz Model
16 fried, I thought I'd buy a replacement amp. (The Marantz is a full
symmetry- complementary circuit with dynamic bias on the output pairs.
In a previous thread, some commented that it wasn't the world's
greatest amplifier, but it always sounded pretty good to me, although I
have little to compare it with.) So I picked up a Samson Servo 260 off
of eBay, but it doesn't deliver nearly the bass punch that the old
Marantz did. So I really want to fix the Marantz. Ordered a service
manual, thinking it would have the spec's on the output relay, but it
identified every part in the amp EXCEPT the relays. Would anyone have
a manufacturer and part number for me on these relays? It's a DPDT
open-frame unit, and I don't know the coil voltage because it's fed off
the 46-V supply through a transistor driver in the coil's ground return
line. Thank you. Bill Crowell
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:54:33 PM

Hi, Gareth, and thanks for the reply. Here's what I've been able to
discover so far about the relays. The coil voltage is 24 volts, and
the coil resistance is 500 ohms. I am hoping to be able to get a
manufacturer name, series and part number for this relay, and if I do,
I will post it on this thread. Bill
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:04:23 PM

So I really want to fix the Marantz. Ordered a service
> manual, thinking it would have the spec's on the output relay, but it
> identified every part in the amp EXCEPT the relays. Would anyone have
> a manufacturer and part number for me on these relays? It's a DPDT
> open-frame unit, and I don't know the coil voltage because it's fed off
> the 46-V supply through a transistor driver in the coil's ground return
> line. Thank you. Bill Crowell

Very often you will find the relays are off the shelf units. Various
manufacturers will make basically the same relay with the same pin
configuration and spacing.

Remove a relay and note its pin configuration and dimensions. Parts
suppliers will often have this information in their catalogues with all the
appropriate meaurments. They will also often include the resistance of the
relay coil. Measure your coils dc resistance and you may then be able to
find a relay to match.

here's an example:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?...

For each relay you can click on the datasheet icon to see all the data.

Gareth.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:41:57 AM

At the local electronics emporium, I found there was a poor selection
of relays that mount directly on the Maranttz PC board. But for the
fact that it was not PCB-mount, the relay most closely matching the old
one was an NTE Electronics R14-11D10-24. I wired it to the PCB using
short multi-colored lengths of #14 AWG stranded. Since the
replacement relay did not have the arm and coil terminals in the same
positions as the old one, wiring it in made it easy to switch these
connections.
!