  • Microsoft
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 20, 2004 3:42:51 PM

Does anyone know when a firmware update will be available
for this? I've been limping along with the MN700 for
several months now, hoping for some new firmware. It
appears that there is a fairly large laundry list of
fixes that need to be made. Does Microsoft have
intentions of supporting this product?

More about : firmware update 700

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 7:20:56 PM

It'll be ready when its done... ;)

--
Eric Chew, MVP
Microsoft Hardware Products

Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
Online Support Knowledge Base at
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)

"SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know when a firmware update will be available
> for this? I've been limping along with the MN700 for
> several months now, hoping for some new firmware. It
> appears that there is a fairly large laundry list of
> fixes that need to be made. Does Microsoft have
> intentions of supporting this product?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:00:31 PM

No offense... but these types of cutesy answers with winkies don't help
anyone. Some people have true problems with their routers and nothing has
been done for them. These routers have been out how long now? Since last
summer? And, seriously... there hasn't been any firmware update for it
other than the one for DSL users and non-DHCP users... which didn't seem to
help fix the problems for a vast majority of the people complaining here.

Perhaps a better reply would have been "I'm sorry, but we have not yet
received word yet as to when, if any, a firmware update will be available.
If I hear anything I'll be happy to pass it along to you all.". You cutesy,
little, duh, MVP reply doesn't help anyone... yea, we know it will be done
when it's done. Geesh!

"Eric Chew [MVP]" <echew@mvps.no.spam.org> wrote in message
> It'll be ready when its done... ;)
>
> --
> Eric Chew, MVP
> Microsoft Hardware Products
> (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so that
> others may benefit from your questions).
>
> Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
> Online Support Knowledge Base at
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
> The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
> obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)
>

> "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know when a firmware update will be available
> > for this? I've been limping along with the MN700 for
> > several months now, hoping for some new firmware. It
> > appears that there is a fairly large laundry list of
> > fixes that need to be made. Does Microsoft have
> > intentions of supporting this product?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:04:43 PM

Any idea if loopback will be added?

Eric Chew [MVP] wrote:
|| It'll be ready when its done... ;)
|| --
|| Eric Chew, MVP
|| Microsoft Hardware Products
|| (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
|| that others may benefit from your questions).
|| Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
|| Microsoft Online Support Knowledge Base at
|| http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
|| The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or
|| contractual obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for
|| fun! :)
|| "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
||| Does anyone know when a firmware update will be available
||| for this? I've been limping along with the MN700 for
||| several months now, hoping for some new firmware. It
||| appears that there is a fairly large laundry list of
||| fixes that need to be made. Does Microsoft have
||| intentions of supporting this product?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:10:40 PM

Well the fact is this, I have the same problems as you do. And even if we
did know, we're under NDA and cannot disclose anything. Perhaps your right,
not answering would have been better?

--

"Duh!" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No offense... but these types of cutesy answers with winkies don't help
> anyone. Some people have true problems with their routers and nothing has
> been done for them. These routers have been out how long now? Since last
> summer? And, seriously... there hasn't been any firmware update for it
> other than the one for DSL users and non-DHCP users... which didn't seem
> help fix the problems for a vast majority of the people complaining here.
>
> Perhaps a better reply would have been "I'm sorry, but we have not yet
> received word yet as to when, if any, a firmware update will be available.
> If I hear anything I'll be happy to pass it along to you all.". You
> cutesy,
> little, duh, MVP reply doesn't help anyone... yea, we know it will be done
> when it's done. Geesh!
>
> "Eric Chew [MVP]" <echew@mvps.no.spam.org> wrote in message
>> It'll be ready when its done... ;)
>>
>> --
>> Eric Chew, MVP
>> Microsoft Hardware Products
>> (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so that
>> others may benefit from your questions).
>>
>> Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
>> Online Support Knowledge Base at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
>> The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
>> obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)
>>

>> "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone know when a firmware update will be available
>> > for this? I've been limping along with the MN700 for
>> > several months now, hoping for some new firmware. It
>> > appears that there is a fairly large laundry list of
>> > fixes that need to be made. Does Microsoft have
>> > intentions of supporting this product?

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:11:20 PM

Sorry, nothing has been announced on that front. I'm with ya on it, I have
a server behind mine and its a pain I know.

--

"Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
> Any idea if loopback will be added?
>
> Eric Chew [MVP] wrote:
> || It'll be ready when its done... ;)
> || --
> || Eric Chew, MVP
> || Microsoft Hardware Products
> || (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
> || that others may benefit from your questions).
> || Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
> || Microsoft Online Support Knowledge Base at
> || http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
> || The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or
> || contractual obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for
> || fun! :)
> || "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:22:21 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I orginaly bought a Netgear router but had so many problems having a stable
link with the AP that I decided to switch to anything but linksys (after a
bad experience with their old befsr41). The MN-700 was on sale and had
WPA... So I picked it. I must say I'm a bit disapointed by the lack of
options available. Lucky I don't need anything fancy right-now cuz it would
finnish into a simple AP behind something else.

Is it only mine or using the web inteface feels like using a dial-up
connection? That web server is slow as hell!

Eric Chew [MVP] wrote:
|| Sorry, nothing has been announced on that front. I'm with ya on it,
|| I have a server behind mine and its a pain I know.
|| --
|| Eric Chew, MVP
|| Microsoft Hardware Products
|| (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
|| that others may benefit from your questions).
|| Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
|| Microsoft Online Support Knowledge Base at
|| http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
|| The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or
|| contractual obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for
|| fun! :)
|| "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
||| Any idea if loopback will be added?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:28:39 PM

No, its slow... I have the same complaint here... The more you do with it
the slower it seems.. But you don't need blazing speed to configure a
router... :)

--

news:o Fe20UxJEHA.1096@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for your reply.
> I orginaly bought a Netgear router but had so many problems having a
> stable
> link with the AP that I decided to switch to anything but linksys (after a
> bad experience with their old befsr41). The MN-700 was on sale and had
> WPA... So I picked it. I must say I'm a bit disapointed by the lack of
> options available. Lucky I don't need anything fancy right-now cuz it
> would
> finnish into a simple AP behind something else.
>
> Is it only mine or using the web inteface feels like using a dial-up
> connection? That web server is slow as hell!
>

> Eric Chew [MVP] wrote:
> || Sorry, nothing has been announced on that front. I'm with ya on it,
> || I have a server behind mine and its a pain I know.
> || --
> || Eric Chew, MVP
> || Microsoft Hardware Products
> || (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
> || that others may benefit from your questions).
> || Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
> || Microsoft Online Support Knowledge Base at
> || http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
> || The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or
> || contractual obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for
> || fun! :)
> || "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:31:35 PM

The MS Hardware folks have given the ok to let you all know that loopback is
in the upcoming service pack for the MN-700 - I don't have a date for
release of this SP.

Maxx wrote:
> Any idea if loopback will be added?
>
> Eric Chew [MVP] wrote:
>>> It'll be ready when its done... ;)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eric Chew, MVP
>>> Microsoft Hardware Products
>>> (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
>>> that others may benefit from your questions).
>>>
>>> Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
>>> Microsoft Online Support Knowledge Base at
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
>>> The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or
>>> contractual obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for
>>> fun! :)
>>>

>>> "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thanks for sharing that info Barb. I think a lot of people are anxious to
beta test any new firmware releases for the MN-700 (I know I would!).

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The MS Hardware folks have given the ok to let you all know that loopback
is
> in the upcoming service pack for the MN-700 - I don't have a date for
> release of this SP.

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 9:44:37 PM

Kerry Liles <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing that info Barb. I think a lot of people are anxious to
> beta test any new firmware releases for the MN-700 (I know I would!).

I don't know. Beta-testing sotware is one thing but beta testing a
firmware update is very hazardous. A bad firmware could simply fry your
base station :-\ I'm not sure I'll easely volunteer for this one (and I
participate to a lot of beta-testing for various companies).

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
(MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Yes, you are correct that an extremely poor firmware upgrade might actually
render the hardware useless (no point everyone jumping in here and asking
why that would be so much different than it was before the failed upgrade
<g>)

I too do a lot of beta testing for various companies (sometimes I know in
advance that it is beta ...) but in this case I would take the chance... If
it went up in smoke I suppose I would seriously have to look at some other
product.

Regards,

Kerry

"Corentin Cras-Méneur [MVP]" <korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote in message
> Kerry Liles <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for sharing that info Barb. I think a lot of people are anxious
> > beta test any new firmware releases for the MN-700 (I know I would!).
>
> I don't know. Beta-testing sotware is one thing but beta testing a
> firmware update is very hazardous. A bad firmware could simply fry your
> base station :-\ I'm not sure I'll easely volunteer for this one (and I
> participate to a lot of beta-testing for various companies).
>

> Corentin
>

> --
> --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
> (MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> MVPs.org: http://www.mvps.org/
> Retirez NoSpam de mon adresse pour m'écrire/Remove NoSpam to e-mail me
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 10:51:40 PM

Kerry Liles <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Yes, you are correct that an extremely poor firmware upgrade might actually
> render the hardware useless (no point everyone jumping in here and asking
> why that would be so much different than it was before the failed upgrade
> <g>)

:->> the previous firmware isn't *so* bad. The base station works fine
for a regular internet use (but that's not what I needed from my MN-700
:-\).

> I too do a lot of beta testing for various companies (sometimes I know in
> advance that it is beta ...) but in this case I would take the chance... If
> it went up in smoke I suppose I would seriously have to look at some other
> product.

Yeah, as far as people know what they're up to. I guess they have a
beta-testing group, but I have no idea how to get in :-|

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) ---
(MS) MVP: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
MVPs.org: http://www.mvps.org/
Retirez NoSpam de mon adresse pour m'écrire/Remove NoSpam to e-mail me
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 10:38:48 AM

If you are not using their utility, you won't see them.

There are firmware updates for the MN-700, however I went
a long time without them becaue I wanted to install them
manually and never installed utility.

For some reason if you're doing it manually, the website
shows no firmware updates.

With the utility, there have been a few. If you're not
using it, install the utility.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:40:26 PM

If you read my post again... I didn't say to not answer... I mearly stated
to NOT answer in a fashion that is insulting to us. Yea, we know it will be
done when it's done. How about just stating you don't know when it will be
released. I just get so annoyed when people say "it will be done when it's
done". Gawd, that was a helpful answer!

> Well the fact is this, I have the same problems as you do. And even if we
> did know, we're under NDA and cannot disclose anything. Perhaps your
right,
> not answering would have been better?
>
> --
> Eric Chew, MVP
> Microsoft Hardware Products
> (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so that
> others may benefit from your questions).
>
> Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
> Online Support Knowledge Base at
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
> The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
> obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)
>

> "Duh!" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > No offense... but these types of cutesy answers with winkies don't help
> > anyone. Some people have true problems with their routers and nothing
has
> > been done for them. These routers have been out how long now? Since
last
> > summer? And, seriously... there hasn't been any firmware update for it
> > other than the one for DSL users and non-DHCP users... which didn't seem
> > help fix the problems for a vast majority of the people complaining
here.

> > Perhaps a better reply would have been "I'm sorry, but we have not yet
> > received word yet as to when, if any, a firmware update will be
available.
> > If I hear anything I'll be happy to pass it along to you all.". You
> > cutesy,
> > little, duh, MVP reply doesn't help anyone... yea, we know it will be
done
> > when it's done. Geesh!
> >
> > "Eric Chew [MVP]" <echew@mvps.no.spam.org> wrote in message
> >> It'll be ready when its done... ;)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Eric Chew, MVP
> >> Microsoft Hardware Products
> >> (Please, no direct email inquiries, please post to the newsgroups so
that
> >> others may benefit from your questions).
> >>
> >> Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the
Microsoft
> >> Online Support Knowledge Base at
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
> >> The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
> >> obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)
> >>

> >> "SR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:42:02 PM

Fine... dangle that bone in front of us and not say when it will be
available. :-(

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The MS Hardware folks have given the ok to let you all know that loopback
is
> in the upcoming service pack for the MN-700 - I don't have a date for
> release of this SP.
>
> Maxx wrote:
> > Any idea if loopback will be added?

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:42:03 PM

This is why no answer is better for some people.

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 1:30:52 PM

Okay, would you please answer the question when it will be available? 8-)
We don't know, so can't specifically answer. It would really be nice to be
able to say May 1, 2004, at 7 a.m., but we don't have any more information
about it than you do. We're just users who attempt to assist others in this
newsgroup. (And I sold my crystal ball so I could afford another network
adapter.) 8-)
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Duh!" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o %232wM45JEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Fine... dangle that bone in front of us and not say when it will be
> available. :-(
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:36:53 PM

Now if they could also add DynDNS.org support like netgear hehehe but... my
instincts tells me it will never happen.

Actualy, something that would really be usefull would be to add persistent
DHCP lease based on MAC address, so port fowarding would still be usefull
with dynamic IP. But... since they need a few firmware updates to implement
something as basic as loopback... I doubt to ever see that added to the
MN-700
Thanks for your reply ;)

Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows) wrote:
|| The MS Hardware folks have given the ok to let you all know that
|| loopback is in the upcoming service pack for the MN-700 - I don't
|| have a date for release of this SP.
|| Maxx wrote:
||| Any idea if loopback will be added?
|| --
|| Barb Bowman
|| Expert Zone Columnist
|| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
|| MS-MVP (Windows)
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:23:39 PM

Have you not found that given your DHCP range stays constant, a given
computer with a given mac address is always getting the same ip?

i.e. a computer with the mac address 44:44:44:44:44:44 is always given the
same ip address by the MN700?

Neel Malik made a posting saying that was how it worked with the MN500. I
would have guessed that it is also like that for the MN700 (it seems to act
like that from my limited experience with the DHCP in the MN700)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> Now if they could also add DynDNS.org support like netgear hehehe but...
my
> instincts tells me it will never happen.
>
> Actualy, something that would really be usefull would be to add persistent
> DHCP lease based on MAC address, so port fowarding would still be usefull
> with dynamic IP. But... since they need a few firmware updates to
implement
> something as basic as loopback... I doubt to ever see that added to the
> MN-700
> Thanks for your reply ;)
>

> Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows) wrote:
> || The MS Hardware folks have given the ok to let you all know that
> || loopback is in the upcoming service pack for the MN-700 - I don't
> || have a date for release of this SP.
> || --
> || Barb Bowman
> || Expert Zone Columnist
> || http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> || MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:24:38 PM

You do not need to have the utility installed to get the firmware update.

Already answered in another posting you made.

--

"drugrep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you are not using their utility, you won't see them.
>
> There are firmware updates for the MN-700, however I went
> a long time without them becaue I wanted to install them
> manually and never installed utility.
>
> For some reason if you're doing it manually, the website
> shows no firmware updates.
>
> With the utility, there have been a few. If you're not
> using it, install the utility.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 8:14:30 PM

Yes it seems so.
I think what it does is:
Always asign the same IP to the same MAC as long as it is requested again
before the lease time ends and that the DHCP server doesn't run out of
available IP in its pool and start to give IP previoulsy asigned to a MAC to
another MAC.
Or it would seem like it. It also seems to asign 1 IP at random from its
pool instead of following a logical order. What is the obscure reason for
that, I have no idea.
Now, I know that reduces the need for a management tool of the DHCP pool
based on MAC.
I guess my reason at first to complain of the lack of such feature was based
on having used that on other routers before.

Maxx!

Jason Tsang wrote:
|| Have you not found that given your DHCP range stays constant, a given
|| computer with a given mac address is always getting the same ip?
|| i.e. a computer with the mac address 44:44:44:44:44:44 is always
|| given the same ip address by the MN700?
|| Neel Malik made a posting saying that was how it worked with the
|| MN500. I would have guessed that it is also like that for the MN700
|| (it seems to act like that from my limited experience with the DHCP
|| in the MN700)
|| --
|| Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
|| Find out about the MS MVP Program -
|| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
|| "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
||| Now if they could also add DynDNS.org support like netgear hehehe
||| but... my instincts tells me it will never happen.
||| Actualy, something that would really be usefull would be to add
||| persistent DHCP lease based on MAC address, so port fowarding would
||| still be usefull with dynamic IP. But... since they need a few
||| firmware updates to implement something as basic as loopback... I
||| doubt to ever see that added to the MN-700
||| Thanks for your reply ;)
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:41:53 AM

Even though you are "just a user", you are still closer to Microsoft than
me.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o JK9E47JEHA.2660@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Okay, would you please answer the question when it will be available? 8-)
> We don't know, so can't specifically answer. It would really be nice to
be
> able to say May 1, 2004, at 7 a.m., but we don't have any more information
> about it than you do. We're just users who attempt to assist others in
this
> newsgroup. (And I sold my crystal ball so I could afford another network
> adapter.) 8-)
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> http://nicecreations.us/
> Associate Expert
>
> "Duh!" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o %232wM45JEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Fine... dangle that bone in front of us and not say when it will be
> > available. :-(

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:41:54 AM

ROFLOL! Not true, although I live about 380 miles from Redmond.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> Even though you are "just a user", you are still closer to Microsoft than
> me.
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o JK9E47JEHA.2660@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Okay, would you please answer the question when it will be available?
>> 8-)
>> We don't know, so can't specifically answer. It would really be nice to
> be
>> able to say May 1, 2004, at 7 a.m., but we don't have any more
>> information
>> about it than you do. We're just users who attempt to assist others in
> this
>> newsgroup. (And I sold my crystal ball so I could afford another network
>> adapter.) 8-)
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> http://nicecreations.us/
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Duh!" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:o %232wM45JEHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> > Fine... dangle that bone in front of us and not say when it will be
>> > available. :-(

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:41:55 AM

You mean like the Product Support Services? 8-) Nope, we're out here just
as you are with these products. Haven't you sensed all the self-inflicted
bruises from our beating our heads on the wall regarding posting of updates
and the other problems with the 700 series?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I would think that he meant you might have some contacts within MS and I
> presume he does not. Obviously being under an NDA obviously ties your
> hands
> quite a bit. However, we all presume that you have a channel for providing
> feedback that the non-MVPs do not have.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:12:45 PM