Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Low signal strength. Asus Z77 pro. PCI slot woes.

Tags:
  • PCI
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 19, 2012 11:39:30 PM

So I just got my new beast of a computer in the mail today. I opted to get NCIX to build it for me and I must say they've done a great job. Except for one thing. They've left me no room to fit my NIC card in the pci slot under the 680 because of a cable that runs almost over top of the PCi slot.

I'm assuming my mobo is what's connecting to my wireless router now, but the signal strength is extremely low. Is this because the onboard wireless connectivity on my ASUS Z77 is just not that great? I've stolen the wireless adaptor pci card from my other PC. But Im having trouble fitting it in. This is making my Diablo 3 install painfully long.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/lesmom10man/ph...

As you can see that cable runs pretty close to the pci slot givin me a hard time with putting in the NIC card.

When I get home from work I'll play with it a little more. The nic is a Linksys wireless G 2.4 ghz wmp54g.

I'm probably just being a giant noob but any insight would be great. Thanks guy. Pretty stoked to be gaming on my EVGA signature+.

More about : low signal strength asus z77 pro pci slot woes

May 20, 2012 12:28:45 AM

So I'm not quite sure what you are using -- are you using an old PCIe card or the ASUS card? The ASUS card does not have to be in the PCIe x1 slot that the wire goes over, it will work in any PCIe slot on the board, including 16x. Did your motherboard actually come with the PCIe card and antenna? Some models do and some don't.
m
l
May 20, 2012 12:32:06 AM

No it didn't come with any network adaptor. Just the built in wifi on the Asus pro board. The nic card I just pulled out of my other computers pci slot. It's the Linksys antenna card I described above. It goes into the pci slot. Not pci e. not too sure
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 20, 2012 12:44:56 AM

Gbay31 said:
No it didn't come with any network adaptor. Just the built in wifi on the Asus pro board. The nic card I just pulled out of my other computers pci slot. It's the Linksys antenna card I described above. It goes into the pci slot. Not pci e. not too sure
Sorry, I don't understand your description. Are you trying to use the ASUS wifi? Did you attach the antenna? Or are you using an old PCI card?
May 20, 2012 3:09:35 AM

I've got it to work. I just needed the cd to install it. I had to turn off the Asus onboard router and install the software. Put in the NIC card again and I've got full connection. I guess I was just over thinking it at work today.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:10:17 AM

Best answer selected by Gbay31.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:25:18 AM

We all do that -- that's why it's good to take some time away when things are not working. The answer just seems to come to us.
m
l
May 20, 2012 8:27:46 PM

Agreed. Thanks
m
l
!