Rewiring mini-headphones ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folks, I recently bought an MP3 player for use in watersports. It is a
waterproof casing with integrated waterproof headphones. Sadly, the
headphones have dismal sound when not submerged, and my intended use is 99%
above water (i.e. kayaking and windsurfing).

The headphones are the ear-bud mini-jack style, and I was able to test the
unit with another water-resistant set with the bottom of the case removed.
The sound is great with the other headphones, but of course with with case
bottom removed, your waterproofness is gone.

So, I have to decide whether to return the MP3 player as useless, or commit
to keeping it and try to splice the replacement headphones to the unit. I'd
need to retain the existing headphone wire coming out of the casing, then
splice to the wires of the replacement set?

I'd like to know if it's feasible. I assume I'd have to do a very delicate
solder job and then apply a sealant over the cut. Will this work? Anybody
done it?

Tnx
Gary

I think you should just exchange the unit. If you tamper with it, you will
loose any warranty on it, and also loose the opportunity to exchange it.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Gwood" <sorry@nothere.com> wrote in message
[...]

er, thanks, but

Exchange is not an option. A non-waterproof unit is obviously not
warrantied to be dunked, and the waterproof one has the issues mentioned.
They don't have a compromise option.

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I think you should just exchange the unit. If you tamper with it, you will
> loose any warranty on it, and also loose the opportunity to exchange it.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======

Well, i dont know about how the actual unit looks, but i guess you should be
able to make everything fit flush and tight and seal off suspicious joints
if you put your brains and patience to it...

Oh, and if it doesn't work, everything is meant to be broken, you know... :)

Hugo

> er, thanks, but
>
> Exchange is not an option. A non-waterproof unit is obviously not
> warrantied to be dunked, and the waterproof one has the issues mentioned.
> They don't have a compromise option.
>

> "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I think you should just exchange the unit. If you tamper with it, you
will
> > loose any warranty on it, and also loose the opportunity to exchange it.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jerry G.
> > ======

"Gwood" <sorry@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Folks, I recently bought an MP3 player for use in watersports. It is
> a waterproof casing with integrated waterproof headphones. Sadly, the
> headphones have dismal sound when not submerged, and my intended use
> is 99% above water (i.e. kayaking and windsurfing).

One alternative approach would be waterproof cases that are designed for
general-purpose use:

http://www.maximonsolutions.com/aquapacs.html

http://www.gpmarine.co.uk/page7.html

A typical
third-party application-specific solution

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13235220