Basic Science Question?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
The scientific method consists of the following (in order; correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Observation (an occurrence you observed).
2. Question (why did this occurrence happen).
3. Hypothesis
4. Prediction
5. Experiment
6. Conclusion

I have several questions. My first one is whether this is the correct format. If not what is? My second question is what is the difference between a hypothesis and a prediction (please include an example if possible)? My third is whether research and observation go hand-in hand. May anyone answer these questions?

4745454b

Titan
You can't do your homework yourself?

Order is correct, and I'll only help on the hypothesis/prediction. After you observed the apple falling on your head and question why, you need to make your hypothesis. "Little Billy was mad at me and threw and apple at me", for example. The next step is to predict whether that hypothesis is correct. Sometimes you can rule out a hypothesis because it will fail the prediction. (or the prediction will help you craft the experiment.) If the apple hit your head at 10am you can assume Billy was at school, and you might go check to make sure he didn't miss a day. Hope that helps.

austinwillis81

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

the order is
Question
Prediction
Experiment
Observations
Conclusion
google it to be sure tho

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Not homework; I came across different views on the scientific method. One was with a hypothesis being first and another was with an observation first and so on. The one I know is with a question first and no prediction included, so I wanted to make sure what I know now of the scientific method is correct or whether I was told something different from what it really is. Anyway, thanks for the help!

4745454b

Titan
Observation has to be first. You have to observe something happening. Darwin observed species and thought there were similarities. Most people don't just sit around making hypothesis and then testing them.

The Observe that austin is talking about is part of the experiment process. If you looked up how to conduct experiments, there would be an observe section. Observe has its own part in the scientific method. As he said, google it and find out. (I already read the wiki to make sure I was right...)