knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
hi,
i'm not sure if these exist, but i'm looking for headphones that have a subwoofer out. many times i'll be listening to music or playing games really late at night and am forced to use headphones (bastard neighbors), and it just feels terrible with zero bass. is there a way to use headphones and my subwoofer at the same time? or are there headphones with built-in "subwoofers" at reasonable prices? i have the Cambridge Soundworks DT3500 Digital, which does not have a headphone out. my sound card is the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1. thanks for any help you can give me.

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
ok, i checked out GameSpot's review of 9 headphones (which you can find here: http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/flat/0,12880,2792240,00.html), and the Koss SportaPro sounds like the headphones for me. it offers "Terrific bass at a low price," sacrificing some quality in the mid- to high ranges. however, the review was written almost a year ago, and no doubt, better products offering more value are available. but, i'd still like to hear any opinions on the Koss SportaPro, as it's available at the J&R website for $25.

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
alright, after further research, i've got a critical question to ask. does higher impedence equal deeper bass? i think the answer is no, or it depends, but would like to make sure. if the answer is yes, then the Koss UR30 looks very attractive, offering 100 ohms impedence for $35. the frequency response is 18-20,000 Hz, which is acceptable right?

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Not sure about impedence and bass having a direct relationship. I suspect they do not (although there could be some correlation).
I have a set of SportaPros that I use as Walkman headphones. They sound good, great if you consider the price. The bass is very full for portable headphones.
Hope that helps.

Matt

"If you understood everything i said, you'd be me" --Miles Davis

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
thanks for replying mattb. yea, i've been reading up more about headphones, and it seems impedance doesn't necessarily define bass. i wish there was a spec that reveals how good the bass is, but it seems you just have to try it for yourself.

anyway, i'm leaning further away from the SportaPros as portability is not too much of an issue. do you, or anyone else reading this, have any thoughts on the Koss R80? do you also have any thoughts on amplifiers? i'm planning to use these headphones on my computer (through the line out on the sound card) and my cd player. does an amplifier make a big difference? thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Impedence = resistance. Think of it this way: pure silver would have a much lower resistance than a block of wood. It's simply how freely the electricity moves. Nothing to do with frequency response, as far as I know.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>