RAID references

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to get a feel for what most people are getting out of their RAID arrays, so I can find out how mine is performing. I'm running RAID-0 on the old ABIT KT7A-RAID board. Any one with a similar system that can let me know what sorts of numbers they're getting? I'm using SiSOft Sandra 2001 for benchmarking purposes

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Might help if you posted the hard drives used and your score.

I have two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 30GB drives on an old Iwill ATA66 RAID card, and I pull about 32k in Sandra.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm using 2 30 GB IBM Deskstar HDD's in RAID0. My scores are actually kind of odd, so maybe someone could explain them too. I have XP and 98SE installed, so i have the disk partitioned into a C, D, and E drive. C has 98SE, D has XP, and E is just regular files (MP3s, video, documents, etc). All 3 are FAT 32.

On the C drive, i get a score around 26000. On D, i get around 22000, and on E i get around 41000. Obviously it varies, but they tend to be within that range, plus our minus a couple thousand points. The scores are similar in XP and 98SE. Why would i get such different scores on different partitions? Both C and D are below the Sandra reference scores, but E is well above. They do have different cluster sizes, would that make a difference?

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

Sometimes it depends on the amount of data on the partitions. An empty partition throws up a better score than a full one.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>