Can you get a virus if you dont go onto the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I kind of feel dumb forbasking this but it was something I've been wondering. Is it possible to get a computer virus if you dont go onto the internet? Is there any program that runs in the background that can acess the internet and give you a virus without you knowing it?

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Description when you connect through internet:-
The virus starts flooding on the system as soon as internet gets connected.To secure these viruses we use antivirus software or firewalls to protect us from these.But sometimes viruses can pass through the firewalls directly causing system failure problems like data loss,system restarts, etc.

Description without connecting through Internet:-
Yes,you will able to get the virus from devices like pen drives,dvd, etc to your system without using internet and without using any background programs as well.

Depends what you mean by 'go on the internet'! If you mean no email or browsing, then no, you can't. But, it is still possible to acquire a virus from external sources like software installation, but very unlikely. If your machine is not connected you're safe...

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
If you are plugged in but never use the web like IE or Firefox, you still can get a malicious software on your computer. Just being plugged into a internet connection puts you at risk even if you never ever touch the computer, so long as the computer is powered on.

The only way to ensure you NEVER get a virus or any other malicious software on you computer is to have no connection to any other computer or device, including a router or internet port on your wall. That even means no cds no thumb drives, nothing.

However i'm guessing that isn't a very good option for you. So download and install Microsoft Security Essentials, and Mal-ware Bytes. Run Mal-Ware Bytes every few weeks or when you remember, and have MSE scan all you drives weekly. This is how i've kept my computer clean for over a year. I've a had maybe 4 items caught and contained by MSE over that time. Mal-ware bytes has not reported a single piece of malicious software in that time. Here's the kicker, i'm on the DMZ, which means no hardware firewall. MSE is hands down the best free anti crap software i've used.

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
There are a number of ways you can still get a virus without an internet connection, but they all require some kind of physical access. If it's a computer that is part of a network without internet access, other computers on that network can infect your system. Same deal with wireless networks.

It's certainly a much bigger problem when you are connected to the internet, but the earliest viruses we're passed around manually. Without the net, it is still a possibility, just not as much of a probability.

Yes u can!

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Ok a few things that I should clear up. The computer listed below is my gaming computer and it is physically connected to the internet with an ethernet cable. That said I never check my emails or browse the internet with this computer. The only time "connect" to the internet is to play games like COD, BF3 and other PC games in online multi player role. Also I never use and thumb drives or other media devices that could spread a virus. Thats why I was wondering. i guess what I should ask is:

Given what I said above how likley is it to get a computer virus?

Can PC multi player game servers like COD or BF3 give you a virus when you download custom maps and weapon mods?

Today when I was playing one of my games I got a weird pop up from Windows security saying something was blocked bla bla bla.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

That what I was getting at. I wonder how safe these PC game severs are. You go into COD or BF3 and connect to their sever to play multiplayer but how safe is it

Messed up on the best answer. Didn't mean to click it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.