Looking for a Wireless Network Adapter

Xombifier

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I have a desktop with Windows 7 64-bit which originally came with a wireless LAN card built into it. It was a faulty card and did not give me a good connection at all. I uninstalled the driver software and after a month of using a USB adapter, that got weak as well.

I have a Cisco Linksys E3200 Router and I am about 40-50 ft. away from it I estimate, with a door and some walls in between.

I am looking for a very reliable, strong but fairly cheap wireless adapter of some sort that I can connect to my desktop that would receive a great signal from the router. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Xombifier

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
The wireless card that gave me a weak signal was actually a Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC and the link you gave me is a Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n. Is there a difference and if so what is it? Is that the best one you know of? Thanks.

besides being a USB adapter it comes with a 5dB antenna compared to the 2dB antennas of the PCIe card.

also it comes with an extension cable so you can find a stronger signal

I would prefer this one but it is in the mid price range. It has two 4dB antennas

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046

on another note you might have to play around with the location of your router. Sometimes just elevating it will give you a better signal.

The E3200 in my opinion is one of Linksys less impressive routers they came out with. They have already replaced it with the E3500 after less then a year