Newbie wiring question

Last response: in Home Audio
March 8, 2005 1:43:54 AM

Here's the setup I envision: I want to run the audio output from my Mac
Mini to two outputs simultaneously: my Sony stereo system in the next
room and to (probably) some Creative Inspire T3000 2.1 speakers, so
that I can pump music into both rooms from the Mac, or just one room or
the other by selectively turning off the outputs.

So, using a Y-splitter off the Mac and a couple of RCA patch cables
would seem to accomplish that to me.

However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up around
a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white and about
30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a thing:
usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.

Also, I'd like to mount the Creative satellites high up on the walls,
requiring another 10-15 feet of white mono RCA per satellite. So, same
issue there.

So A) do you know where I can buy such a cable (preferably cheaply), or
B) is it safe to construct one out of speaker wire and RCA plugs? And
of course C) is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

More about : newbie wiring question

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:15:47 AM

In article <1110264233.994091.193450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Charles Thompson" <myob555@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the setup I envision: I want to run the audio output from my Mac
> Mini to two outputs simultaneously: my Sony stereo system in the next
> room and to (probably) some Creative Inspire T3000 2.1 speakers, so
> that I can pump music into both rooms from the Mac, or just one room or
> the other by selectively turning off the outputs.
>
> So, using a Y-splitter off the Mac and a couple of RCA patch cables
> would seem to accomplish that to me.
>
> However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up around
> a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white and about
> 30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a thing:
> usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.
>
> Also, I'd like to mount the Creative satellites high up on the walls,
> requiring another 10-15 feet of white mono RCA per satellite. So, same
> issue there.
>
> So A) do you know where I can buy such a cable (preferably cheaply), or
> B) is it safe to construct one out of speaker wire and RCA plugs? And
> of course C) is there a better way to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks!

Buy bulk stereo coaxial wire, a set of RCA plugs, a soldering iron, and
solder. It's maybe $20 of parts.

Since there are no jacks on the end, you can probably run the wire
through a 1/4 inch hole in the wall. Use a "Stud Finder" to avoid
hitting anything in the wall.

Wireless solutions vary in quality from very good to totally useless so
be careful.

No, speaker wire won't work. It has to be shielded.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:18:53 AM

In <1110264233.994091.193450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on 03/07/05

at 10:43 PM, "Charles Thompson" <myob555@gmail.com> said:

>Here's the setup I envision: I want to run the audio output from my
>Mac Mini to two outputs simultaneously: my Sony stereo system in the
>next room and to (probably) some Creative Inspire T3000 2.1 speakers,
>so that I can pump music into both rooms from the Mac, or just one
>room or the other by selectively turning off the outputs.

>So, using a Y-splitter off the Mac and a couple of RCA patch cables
>would seem to accomplish that to me.

>However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up
>around a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white
>and about 30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a
>thing: usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.

25' is about the maximum standard length. I've never seen white, but
gray is available.

If there is wall-to-wall carpet there is usually enough room to run
beside the tack strip. This would avoid running over the door and save
about 17 feet of cable.

>Also, I'd like to mount the Creative satellites high up on the walls,
>requiring another 10-15 feet of white mono RCA per satellite. So,
>same issue there.

If your walls are drywall construction, it's easy to punch a hole above
the baseboard, run inside the wall, and punch another hole behind the
speaker mount.

>So A) do you know where I can buy such a cable (preferably cheaply),
>or B) is it safe to construct one out of speaker wire and RCA plugs?

Not a great idea. You can buy raw shielded wire and make your own
cables. (but they won't be white).

>And of course C) is there a better way to accomplish this?

Many hardware stores sell strips of wire hiding material. It's usually
a square plastic channel with double side tape to attach it to the
wall. Don't expect the tape to stick forever.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
March 8, 2005 3:12:27 PM

"Charles Thompson" <myob555@gmail.com> writes:

> Here's the setup I envision: I want to run the audio output from my Mac
> Mini to two outputs simultaneously: my Sony stereo system in the next
> room and to (probably) some Creative Inspire T3000 2.1 speakers, so
> that I can pump music into both rooms from the Mac, or just one room or
> the other by selectively turning off the outputs.
>
> So, using a Y-splitter off the Mac and a couple of RCA patch cables
> would seem to accomplish that to me.

Yes.

> However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up around
> a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white and about
> 30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a thing:
> usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.
>
> Also, I'd like to mount the Creative satellites high up on the walls,
> requiring another 10-15 feet of white mono RCA per satellite. So, same
> issue there.
>
> So A) do you know where I can buy such a cable (preferably cheaply), or

I do not have any special recommendation for such ready made cable.
f you know how to solder, shop around on shops to see if you can find
suitable white wire that you can use to construct your cables.

> B) is it safe to construct one out of speaker wire and RCA plugs?

Constructing such cable woudl be safe.
But you would not be happy with the cable.
The speaker wire is unshielded cable.
It will not provide the shielding for the signals.
When you make RCA cable out of it, your cable will
pick up all kinds of noise very easily, usually mainly
mains humming, RF interference etc... You will most
propably do not like the result.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

> However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up around
> a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white and about
> 30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a thing:
> usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.

In the UK, you can get white Alarm cable for burglar alarms. It is overall
screened 4, 6 or 8 core, cheap and quite thin.. I don't know how it would
perform, maybe a bit of crosstalk between left and right. Worth
experimenting with perhaps.

Gareth.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:45:47 AM

Barry Mann wrote:
> In <1110264233.994091.193450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on
03/07/05

> at 10:43 PM, "Charles Thompson" <myob555@gmail.com> said:
> >Here's the setup I envision: I want to run the audio output from my
> >Mac Mini to two outputs simultaneously

Thanks for all the great replies everybody. Unfortunately it's all
hardwood, so I can't just run it under the carpet, but I think I have a
better idea of what needs to be done.

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:29:13 AM

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:D 0kml5$c3$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>> However, the RCA from the Mac to the Sony amp is going to run up around
>> a doorway into the next room, meaning I'd like it to be white and about
>> 30ft long. But I'm having a very hard time finding such a thing:
>> usually it's black, too short, or 6-way A/V, or somesuch.
>

> In the UK, you can get white Alarm cable for burglar alarms. Anywhere
> in an electronic componets supply store (like RS in the USA) you should be
> able to get screeened cable by teh meter off 50 or 100m reels.

The distance really shouldn't matter. It will possibly degrade the sound -
but hell, you're playing on 'Creative' speakers, so hi fidelity obviously
isn't a criteria ....

geoff
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:01:55 AM

Hmm.. if I understand your post correctly, you're going to run one
branch of the "Y" in to a stereo system input and the other into
speakers. Aren't you going to have a level-disparity problem? The
stereo system input requires a line-level source, but the speakers
demand a power amp output signal. And every time I've tried to "Y" a
line-level signal like that, I've gotten a big impedance mismatch
problem. Impedance mismatch greatly affects frequency response. I
think you need to properly terminate the "Y" outputs with a
series/parallel resistor combination.
!