photo printers

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Who knows what is the best inkjet photo printer ?
I am oriented for the EPSON 950 or the Canon i950, but it is some years since I don't follow the inkjet market and consequently I don't know if such printers are obsolete.
Thanks for the suggestions

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I bought a i850 @6 months ago over the i950 because of some cloging problems it was having.

Pros:
1...Very fast black and white text printing.
2...Excellent photo printing if using the right paper.
3...No jaming.
4...4 separate cartridges (large black, cyan, mangenta and yellow)
5...Easy and cheap to refill. (seperate new carts are U.S. $8-11 - can refill for $1)
6...I have had no cloging and it may set for serveral weeks of non-use.
7...I estimate my costs for a 4x6 = $0.20 and 8x10 $0.57.
8...Very quite in printing mode.
9...Parallel or USB cable.

Cons:
1...Nothing so far.

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>
:smile: <font color=red>I am the Harley Bear. :smile:

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
What paper are you using to print photos? My dad is going to get a Canon A80 digital camera for Xmas and we are thinking of getting him a photo printer to match it. I have been trying to decide if the extra cost is worth moving up to the i960. I keep coming back to the i860 because it seems the general opinion is that it does general text and graphics better, and it is less expensive. Just how good is the photo output on the i860, especially in regard to contrast, tonality smoothness and color accuracy? I am using an Epson 820 and it has been satisfactory for my discerning eye. I hesitate because the i860 uses a 4-color system instead of the typical six with most photo printers. If the i860 can provide similar results to the 820, I will go with it. Thanks.
-Brett

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I use the Office Depot "Premium High Gloss Photo Paper" or Canon "Photo Paper Pro". I have used both the i850 and the i950 and can't tell the difference in photo prints without a magnifying glass. The "Easy-Photoprint" software that comes with the printer works good and I also use <A HREF="http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/" target="_new">"Quimage"</A> software. Some swear the additional 2 photo color cartridges make a difference but I can't see it other than the smaller jets clog more easily. I am into amateur photography so I use it a lot. Tell your dad that is a great choice for a camera. I have a Canon G3 and like it alot.

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>

geos

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I recently did my homework on photo printers and have a Epson R300 on order.

Some things I wanted in my printer where
1. borderless prints
2. high rez
3. card reader that supports XD memory
4. card reader that supports transfers to a computer not just printing
5. panoramic prints
6. individual print cartridges for easy refilling

Its very new and not many places even mention it but they are shipping now.
I hope this helps.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Now I bought a CANON i950. I didn't have much help from the community, maybe because digital photo printing interests only few people.
Anyway, I considered what written by THG and it is all true. The i950 is really a beautifull printer, and together with my minolta dimage A1 let me have photos with never-seen colours (a part the real world of course).
Finally I may have photos with right colours, maybe better than chemical prints. The bubble-jet printer is also very fast and my old hp-990 cxi seems to be a snail with respect to the canon. And the inks are very cheap.
I use ILFORD photo paper (smooth pearl paper 280 g/m2).
I do not know yet what is the reliability of printing with ageing.

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I believe you will be very pleased with the i950. The colors are great. The aging depends on factor of paper (Ilford is good) and keeping them away from sunlight. If you keep them behind glass or in a photo album they will last a long time. I like digital because you don't waste printing photographs that aren't good shots.