WinXP reboots itself

G

I recently got a Athlon 900mhz machine w/ Win XP pro on it. Last week the system started randomly rebooting itself with no apparent reason. This as you can imagine is extremely frustrating especially when I'm in the middle of working on something. As of last night my computer will not fully boot. It gets through all of the WinXP splash screens and the mouse comes up and then all of the sudden the system rebootsnitself and gets no farther. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? I've heard everything from video card issues to cpu overheating. Thanks in advance.

G

The most common cause for reboot is bad ram. However I have seen this happen with a bad power supply. Make sure the ram is setted all the way down. If there is more then one ram chip. Use one at a time until you find the bad ram. If they are mismatched then that could also cause some problems. But this usualy causes lockup and not reboot.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I've seen more bad power supplies cause random rebooting than memory but since it's not coming up fully that is strange.

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Windows XP will reboot on ANY exception fault it gets, so in order to determin the problem, boot into safe mode.
While in safe mode goto:
Start Menu->Control Panel->System->Advanced, Click on the Startup and Recovery "Settings" button and in the menu turn off reboot on error.

When you next get the error you will get teh blue screen of you-know-what and it will tell oyu what the problem is.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats the very reason why I'm looking at a part of the forum which I'll otherwise ignore. Mine reaches the mouse part as well but as my mcafee viruscan5.21 starts it reboots. I'm downloading the compatibility thing from Windows Update now. Hopefully it'll fix it.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK good news! I downloaded the program compatibility thing from Windows Update and my pc seems to work fine now. I tried safe mode but even after I disable the virus scanner, the next time I reboot under normal mode it starts up automatically again. And you can't uninstall programs under safe mode. I just got a lucky break after it finally booted-up correctly after many tries. Otherwise I would have deleted the friggin thing in DOS.

You could have run MSCONFIG in safe mode and unchecked all references to McAfee.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
One thing I have learned about XP,it doesnt eliminate the "blue screen",it just covers it up,and reboots.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't seem to have the problems they mentioned in the forum there but then again I don't use webscan. I like using McAfee since I find it to be reliable and simple to update. I hate PCCilin because it managed to let SIRCam32 get past and infect mine, my aunt's and another friends computer even though I just updated it the day before. About Norton, I simply don't like the looks.