HCB-30 Car Kit always on

Hi

I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
when the key is turned to accessory.

Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
glow constantly. Thanks.

Peter
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Mine remains powered up for 20 mins after the car is off then powers down
    automatically (normal behavior) in case you are involved in a conversation
    when you arrive at your destination and turn the vehicle off but have not
    ended the conversation.

    Hope this helps

    "Peter" <peter_m@circle-consulting.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > when the key is turned to accessory.
    >
    > Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
    > glow constantly. Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    Thankks for the info. When your unit "powers down" after 20 mins are
    there any indicators or backlights shown on the display?

    Peter,

    "Marka2k" <no-spam-marka2k@cox.net> wrote in message news:<cSHVc.56578$wo.45820@okepread06>...
    > Mine remains powered up for 20 mins after the car is off then powers down
    > automatically (normal behavior) in case you are involved in a conversation
    > when you arrive at your destination and turn the vehicle off but have not
    > ended the conversation.
    >

    > Hope this helps
    >

    > "Peter" <peter_m@circle-consulting.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > > when the key is turned to accessory.
    > >
    > > Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
    > > glow constantly. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Peter

    > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > when the key is turned to accessory.

    I don't know if this is relevant but when I had my unit fitted 6 months ago
    it totally went on the fritz. Turned out that the dash switch was faulty.
    Technician told me it was a complete freak but he tried everything before
    locating the problem as being the switch. Sounds like a similar problem but
    not identical.

    Good luck!

    Phil

    Hi Peter,

    This doesn't sound OK.
    Your HCB-30 should switch off after 1 minute you switched off your ignition
    sense, or when you press the ON HOOK button for some seconds.
    Than the light in the Control Panel should go off and you should not hear
    any sound at all.
    Only when you have an active call going on the unit never switches off,
    independent of the blue wire voltage. But the moment you end the call (and
    the ignition sense is low for more than 1 minute) the car kit switches off.

    Please try this manual switch-off. If this doesn't work your unit is most
    likely defective.
    But also check the yellow cable: disconnect it to see if the behaviour of
    the car kit changes.

    Bernd

    "Peter" <peter_m@circle-consulting.co.nz> schreef in bericht
    > Hi
    >
    > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > when the key is turned to accessory.
    >
    > Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
    > glow constantly. Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    Bernd

    Thanks for the guidance. I'll try the test you've described.

    I've not hooked up the speaker muting system so the yellow wire is
    "floating" and taped up out of the way. Is this likely to be
    contributing to the issue.

    I intend to contact the local Sony Ericsson agents here in New Zealand
    this week. The only problem is that I purchased the unit in Singapore
    so I don't know how keen they will be to assist. Here's hoping!

    Peter,

    "Bernd" <gone_bernd@gone_gaykema.com> wrote in message news:<cg8cnr$aq$1@reader13.wxs.nl>...
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > This doesn't sound OK.
    > Your HCB-30 should switch off after 1 minute you switched off your ignition
    > sense, or when you press the ON HOOK button for some seconds.
    > Than the light in the Control Panel should go off and you should not hear
    > any sound at all.
    > Only when you have an active call going on the unit never switches off,
    > independent of the blue wire voltage. But the moment you end the call (and
    > the ignition sense is low for more than 1 minute) the car kit switches off.
    >
    > Please try this manual switch-off. If this doesn't work your unit is most
    > likely defective.
    > But also check the yellow cable: disconnect it to see if the behaviour of
    > the car kit changes.
    >
    > Bernd
    >
    > "Peter" <peter_m@circle-consulting.co.nz> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > > when the key is turned to accessory.
    > >
    > > Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
    > > glow constantly. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Peter

    Phil

    I think I saw a message from you (or someone with a similar problem)
    that alerted me to the dash switch. The switch has been re-plugged
    several times and the unit otherwise works OK. However, it will be
    one of the things I raise with my local Sony Ericcson dealer.

    Thanks for your help.

    Peter,

    "Phil Lawrence" <plawrence@hot.ee> wrote in message news:<412787a6_2@news.estpak.ee>...
    > > I've just had a Sony Ericcson HCB-30 BlueTooth Handsfree carkit
    > > installed. The blue back panel lights are constantly glowing and
    > > there's a faint hiss from the speaker even with the car switched off.
    > > It seems the unit is constantly powered on. The wiring has been
    > > checked and the ignition sense wire (blue) is getting switched 12v
    > > when the key is turned to accessory.
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant but when I had my unit fitted 6 months ago
    > it totally went on the fritz. Turned out that the dash switch was faulty.
    > Technician told me it was a complete freak but he tried everything before
    > locating the problem as being the switch. Sounds like a similar problem but
    > not identical.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Phil

    "> Can someone with the same unit tell me if their blue indicator lights
    > glow constantly. Thanks.
    >
    > Peter

    ....and no, the only indicator which should be illuminated after a pairing is
    the green one.

Ericsson