Insane Amount of Problems with OS Install x79 Intel SATA/RAID Drivers

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
All,

I've been searching everywhere to no avail, and I've had a lot of luck asking other questions here in the past... Potentially this could belong in the Motherboards forums, though, I don't think anything is wrong in that regard.

I have a new build I'm working on (far too much):

Intel i7 3930k
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS P9X79 Mobo
2x Intel 520 SSDs to be run in RAID 0 (plugged in to the Intel 6.0 SATA slots)
Nvidia GTX 680
etc.

To begin, I have updated my BIOS to the latest, Firmware on the SSDs was already at the latest, and set the drives to run RAID mode in the UEFI BIOS, then this allowed me to configure the drives in the Intel Storage Manager, nothing too new to me, I've done RAID 0 SSDs before, just not on x79. The drivers for x79's RAID Controller weren't around for Windows 7 SP1's release apparently, so upon booting from the DVD Drive, a prompt will display to install drivers for the SATA/RAID controller, drivers you can't swap CDs for but have to use a Flash Drive for.

The X79 uses a series of RSTe drivers, and the most recent one (that they haven't pulled), is the one I'm trying to use. I grabbed this from Intel's website, but I've tried tons of older (and pulled) versions of their c600 x79 SATA/RAID RSTe controller drivers, and it constantly tells me to check with my vendor for updated drivers.

So I tried dragging and dropping my files to a bootable partition HDD, where I can install Windows from the external hard drive (I didn't have a Flash Drive large enough, but it's configured the same way). For this, I put the same files onto the external, but added in the SATA/RAID drivers as well. Initially, I didn't know you had to press F6 to get the prompt to display for finding additional drivers when a partition is found (the external) that obviously can't be installed to. When I did this though, I had a different error, stating I could not use unsigned x64 Drivers. ARGH!

I suppose I might be close though... can anyone provide some insight as to what is happening here, and how I might be able to Bypass the check for unsigned drivers (I know they're correct and will work)? I think I could make a RT 7 Lite customized install, which I tried as well, and got yet ANOTHER problem, probably due to how I customized the image to include Boot Drivers that caused it to complain that required drivers, iaStorA.sys, the one in question here, were not found on the customized Windows 7 install and were required to even get to the point where I could load them by pressing F6 (or when it prompts me to).
So here I am, 10 hours and 1 hour of sleep later, trying to figure this out.

Thanks all.

Solution
I've used one of (2) Intel RSTE drivers, those listed on ASUS's site - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/#download (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Driver Software V3.0.0.2003) and Intel's - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20507&ProdId=2101&lang=eng (RSTE_3.0.0.3020_F6-Drivers.zip)

I really only recommend a Flash Drive install as I've posted in the link you referenced. It defiantly works, I'm running RAID on my ASUS X79. Further, I've seen folks have problems using both the Windows 7 DVD + Flash Drive, so I can only strongly recommend you go out and get a Flash Drive. I've only heard about folks creating a bootable Custom DVD and having success, but I've never attempted...
I've used one of (2) Intel RSTE drivers, those listed on ASUS's site - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/#download (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Driver Software V3.0.0.2003) and Intel's - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20507&ProdId=2101&lang=eng (RSTE_3.0.0.3020_F6-Drivers.zip)

I really only recommend a Flash Drive install as I've posted in the link you referenced. It defiantly works, I'm running RAID on my ASUS X79. Further, I've seen folks have problems using both the Windows 7 DVD + Flash Drive, so I can only strongly recommend you go out and get a Flash Drive. I've only heard about folks creating a bootable Custom DVD and having success, but I've never attempted myself.

Select Custom (Advanced)
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-54-52.jpg

(F6) instead click on Load Driver
Windows7-2008-11-04-14-55-06.jpg

Solution

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008

Thanks man, I'm going to lay some cash down for a sizeable Flash drive, they are cheap, compared to the 2000+ dollars I've spent already!

I'm sure having it will come in handy as well. I'm sure I get a faster reimage this way as opposed to using a DVD.

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Yeah, I just hope when Windows 8 lands, that they have this built in (I remember a very similar dilemma happening when I tried installing SATA drives on various Windows XP distros). What a headache, half the battle is figuring out what type of drivers to use as well, since Intel removed one of their new ones due to some major problems.

What would *actually* be my thinking, is they're going to have the option of searching online for these sort of things if you're plugged in to the net.

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I still get "To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers. Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported...".

Here i thought I would be on to something :/

I am assuming here that the BIOS SATA -> RAID and the SSD/HDD, the SSD/HHD are configured in the Ctrl + I Intel RSTE control panel, the iaStorA.inf drivers are unzipped, only the primary boot drive and Flash drive are connected, durin the F8 there should be (2) listed Flash Drives (try both if needed), and the SSD/HDD are on the Intel SATA ports; double-check the manual for SATA ports.

Only use the 64-bit driver load (1) iaStorA.inf driver.
'Flash Drive':\...RSTe_V3002003_XPWin7\RSTe_V3002003_XPWin 7\Driver\Disk\64bit\iaStorA.inf
'Flash Drive':\...RSTe_3.0.0.3020_F6-Drivers\RSTe_f6_iaStorA_64\iaStorA.inf

The DVD/BR (ODD) sure you can keep that connected, but I really recommend that you simply unplug the SATA cords to all other drives i.e. HDD(s) until after the OS is installed.

I have seen a few folks having the 'signing' issue, but I never ran across the problem on an ASUS. If the problem persists then make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.
* Use ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Yeah the first thing I did was update the BIOS to the latest version out of the box :/ The firmware was topped out on the SSDs already too.

The 2 SSDs in RAID 0 are the only SATA devices attached. Anything else attached is either the DVD drive doing nothing, or my (now Flash Drive) OS image.

This, quite simply put, sucks. I may try resetting CMOS, but I doubt that will help. I'm trying to create an image via RT Seven Lite with the checkbox checked of "Integrate Unsigned Drivers" which is suggested for 64 bit RAID setups.

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
FIXED

Did it by added the drivers in using RT Seven Lite, integrating them NOT as Boot drivers, but as INSTALL drivers in the customization. I was using the Intel drivers (most up to date and highest performing ones), and just integrated them using RT Seven Light, then used the USB Flash ISO-Bootable option.

IT'S FINALLY OVER

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I spoke too soon... now it's expecting the iaStorA.sys file to be in \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys after I did the first part of the Windows install... *sigh*

Why did I get so close, yet the driver didn't make it to Windows\...?

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I am also having this problem! Well the problem where when it tries to load my OS after a fresh install it says the iastora.sys file is either missing or corrupt!

I have the latest drivers from intel and I have both crucial M4 256gb SSD's connected to the sata 6gbs ports and they are detected fine except the correct drivers never seem to work???

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I don't think I am going to get to the part of being in windows with this but I am going through an install again...

Interesting thing I just realised. It only seems to be loading the 32bit iastora.sys driver not 64bit drivers?

I am not sure why the heck this is?