Any use for blown tweeters?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 12, 2005 12:17:09 AM

I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (<1ohm).
Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?

Thanks,
Colin

More about : blown tweeters

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:17:10 AM

Colin B. wrote:
> I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
> speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short
> (<1ohm). Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be
> repaired or used for anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss
> 'em?

If they've got enclosed backs, you can rip the cones out of 'em and use 'em
for ashtrays...just not on your computer desk, or anywhere else where
magnetic media is handled.

jak

> Thanks,
> Colin
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:56:58 PM

Colin B. wrote:

> I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
> speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (<1ohm).
> Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
> anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin
Use them to attach notes to your refrigerator.
Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
CRT monitor and drive him nuts..

Bob

March 12, 2005 2:08:53 PM

Colin B. wrote:
> I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
> speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (<1ohm).
> Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
> anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?
>
> Thanks,
> Colin
Companies like Morel and Focal and others I am sure would sell
replacement diaphragms making a blown tweeter essentially new

check with www.zalytron.com if replacement domes are made for your tweeters

they say if you sleep with magnets attached to your head...
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:25:17 PM

Vertical, high velocity frisbie?

Steel wool scouring pad holder?

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
March 13, 2005 12:04:59 PM

They are great for taking through airport security.

geoff
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:10:29 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:56:58 -0600, Bob Urz <sound@inetnebr.com>
wrote:

>Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
>CRT monitor and drive him nuts..

Your friend would consider an old sock merely an acceptable part of
the landscape? :-)
March 14, 2005 10:45:30 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:10:29 +0000, Laurence Payne
<l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:56:58 -0600, Bob Urz <sound@inetnebr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
>>CRT monitor and drive him nuts..
>
>Your friend would consider an old sock merely an acceptable part of
>the landscape? :-)

Not likely around here either, but who knows? On the OP's question
(which I didn't see), many tweeters become "blown" when a voice coil
wire breaks at or near the termination (repairable), and many others
have replaceable diaphragms.

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)
!