Damn Vodafone/Ericsson K700i...

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 26, 2004 5:56:57 AM

I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around this?

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:56:58 AM

BC wrote:
> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
> quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around this?
>
> <=[BC]=>

Buy a non-branded phone!!!
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:56:58 AM

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
> quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around
this?

> <=[BC]=>

Can you send files to your phone ie bluetooth dongle??

If so can you try somthing for me or anyone with a k700i

rename the mp3 you want to copy to .mid

send it to the phone

try and assign it as a ringtone,

I dont know if it will work, but I can play .mid files on my pc ok so dont
see why it wont work

Its a long shot but worth a try, I have left my dongle at work so cant test
it, I only got my phone today as well :)

Ronny

www.fsplanes.net
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:56:58 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:56:57 +1200, BC wrote:

> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
> quality of its camera...

Well it is only a cheapo VGA(640x480) rez camera, so what do you expect ?
OK for picture messages, but not much else.

You want decent pics ? Then get a proper multi-megapixel digital camera.

> (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?!

....and all the Vodafone Live butchery.

> Is there are way around this?

Change it for a *non-branded* k700i.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
August 26, 2004 3:59:32 PM

"ronny" <ronny@ron.com> wrote in message

> Can you send files to your phone ie bluetooth dongle??
>
> If so can you try somthing for me or anyone with a k700i
>
> rename the mp3 you want to copy to .mid
>
> send it to the phone
>
> try and assign it as a ringtone,
>
> I dont know if it will work, but I can play .mid files on my pc ok so dont
> see why it wont work
>
> Its a long shot but worth a try, I have left my dongle at work so cant
test
> it, I only got my phone today as well :)

neat idea... got me all exited for a sec here, but no, unfortunately it
didn't work. The file copied over okay, and the phone recognised the file
as a midi and all - it even allowed me to assign it as a ringtone... BUT,
it wasn't able to play the file.

Damn.

<=[BC]=>
August 26, 2004 4:00:19 PM

"Harryville" <Harryville_no_spam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed.
The
> > phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the
pic
> > quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> > subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> > disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around
this?

> Buy a non-branded phone!!!

hey dude, got an unbranded k700i? wanna swap?

<=[BC]=>
August 28, 2004 3:01:40 AM

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.27.10.32.46.757000@ivetva.arg...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:45:10 +0100, Ronny wrote:

> > The camera in the k700i is infect very good, its certainly alot better
then
> > all the other sub 1mp phones, it has a nice clear display, a big screen,
it
> > does everything you could ever want from a phone.

My only other camera phone was an Alcatel 735... its camera and display
wasn't as high res, but IMO it took cleaner pictures. I haven't tried the
K700i outdoors in full light yet, but all of the indoor pics I've taken thus
far has been full of noise, and some even blurry... and don't get me
started on the video camera - it's a total waste of time. Worse than webcam
quality. I guess it's a nice gimmick to have though (makes showing off your
phone so much more satsifying).

> > If you want an ugly phone then go for the 1mp nokia 7610, it has more
> > features but looks like shite.
>
> Oh I agree, that is a hideous looking contraption. What where the Nokia
> designers smoking ?

I've been avoiding the Nokia brand for a while now - can't stand their
designs.

> > The features have been removed because Vodafone want to cash in on its
> > customers and make them use Live to get ringtones, rather then using
> > your own, unfortunately this has backfired on them and are now having
> > loads of phones returned to them as they are not working as they should
> > be.

Anyone got a hack for this yet?

> I've got nothing against the k700i, it's a well featured and very smart
> looking phone.

It's a pretty good phone - good signal reception, 41mb memory allowing for
tons of JAVA games and files, WAP2 and GPRS, et cetera. I WAS expecting
better camera quality and more features though, considering the price I paid
for it. I'm actually missing a few features from my old Alcatel 735 (which
costs a fraction of the price), such as voice activation (not just for
calls, but for opening the voice memo, opening WAP, et cetera) and a
currencery converter. The K700i isn't the best phone out there, but there
are far worse...

> ...however it's camera, with fixed-focus pinhole sized lens,
> *web-cam* quality cheapo sensor, no flash. Should be considered a toy or
> gimmick and nothing more. The same applies to all camera phones.

On the plus side the builtin camera light mights a pretty good flashlight...

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:01:41 AM

> "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.08.27.10.32.46.757000@ivetva.arg...
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:45:10 +0100, Ronny wrote:
>
>> > The camera in the k700i is infect very good, its certainly alot better
> then
>> > all the other sub 1mp phones, it has a nice clear display, a big
>> > screen,
> it
>> > does everything you could ever want from a phone.
>
> My only other camera phone was an Alcatel 735... its camera and display
> wasn't as high res, but IMO it took cleaner pictures. I haven't tried the
> K700i outdoors in full light yet, but all of the indoor pics I've taken
> thus
> far has been full of noise, and some even blurry... and don't get me
> started on the video camera - it's a total waste of time. Worse than
> webcam
> quality. I guess it's a nice gimmick to have though (makes showing off
> your
> phone so much more satsifying).
>
>> > If you want an ugly phone then go for the 1mp nokia 7610, it has more
>> > features but looks like shite.
>>
>> Oh I agree, that is a hideous looking contraption. What where the Nokia
>> designers smoking ?
>
> I've been avoiding the Nokia brand for a while now - can't stand their
> designs.
>
>> > The features have been removed because Vodafone want to cash in on its
>> > customers and make them use Live to get ringtones, rather then using
>> > your own, unfortunately this has backfired on them and are now having
>> > loads of phones returned to them as they are not working as they should
>> > be.
>
> Anyone got a hack for this yet?
>
>> I've got nothing against the k700i, it's a well featured and very smart
>> looking phone.
>
> It's a pretty good phone - good signal reception, 41mb memory allowing for
> tons of JAVA games and files, WAP2 and GPRS, et cetera. I WAS expecting
> better camera quality and more features though, considering the price I
> paid
> for it. I'm actually missing a few features from my old Alcatel 735
> (which
> costs a fraction of the price), such as voice activation (not just for
> calls, but for opening the voice memo, opening WAP, et cetera) and a
> currencery converter. The K700i isn't the best phone out there, but there
> are far worse...
>
>> ...however it's camera, with fixed-focus pinhole sized lens,
>> *web-cam* quality cheapo sensor, no flash. Should be considered a toy or
>> gimmick and nothing more. The same applies to all camera phones.
>
> On the plus side the builtin camera light mights a pretty good
> flashlight...
>
> <=[BC]=>

I have taken some pics indoors, does yours look like this, as I dont think
there that bad

1 at 320x and one at 640

www.fsplanes.net/test.JPG
www.fsplanes.net/test1.JPG
www.fsplanes.net/test2.JPG

Just a pic of my desk at work lol

Ronny
August 28, 2004 6:14:00 AM

"Ronny" <Ron@Ron.com> wrote in message news:cgne4j$kth$1

> I have taken some pics indoors, does yours look like this, as I dont think
> there that bad

well, maybe my pics will look better when viewed on a proper computer
screen...

what about your video cam? Does it work okay? EVERYTHING (or rather,
anything that moves) comes out blurry and heavily pixelised...

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 6:14:01 AM

> "Ronny" <Ron@Ron.com> wrote in message news:cgne4j$kth$1
>
>> I have taken some pics indoors, does yours look like this, as I dont
>> think
>> there that bad
>
> well, maybe my pics will look better when viewed on a proper computer
> screen...
>
> what about your video cam? Does it work okay? EVERYTHING (or rather,
> anything that moves) comes out blurry and heavily pixelised...
>
> <=[BC]=>

Nope mine are fine, just move the phone slower, and do it outside, its not a
camcorder, you will get better results outside
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 11:46:24 PM

Just recieved the new unbranded K700i, its much better, its got sound
recorder and other new functions on, that were not on the shitty Vodafone
one :)

< happy

Ronny
September 3, 2004 1:32:37 PM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:56:57 +1200, BC wrote:

> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
> quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around this?
>
> <=[BC]=>

Wouldn't this be simply solved by having your phone unlocked somewhere,
and then giving it to SE to upgrade the firmware? I was led to believe
that the machine autodetects the branding and upgrades the firmware to
keep it in place. But with unlocking beforehand, surely it would all
default to the SE unbranded defaults?

Am I right here?
September 4, 2004 1:28:50 AM

"Axl" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.09.03.08.32.37.727638@a.com...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:56:57 +1200, BC wrote:
>
>> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed. The
>> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the pic
>> quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
>> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
>> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around
>> this?

> Wouldn't this be simply solved by having your phone unlocked somewhere,
> and then giving it to SE to upgrade the firmware? I was led to believe
> that the machine autodetects the branding and upgrades the firmware to
> keep it in place. But with unlocking beforehand, surely it would all
> default to the SE unbranded defaults?
>
> Am I right here?

I'm having a little trouble finding the unlocking codes/sequence... heck,
I'm having trouble finding the firmware upgrades.

I spoke to the people at Vodafone about the locked MP3-ringtone feature, and
was told by their staff that they were not aware of this problem, and that
there was nothing they could do for me. I was surprised, and told them that
it was a worldwide problem, a very common worldwide problem. They thought I
was mad or something...

well, if someone finds a way to unlock this feature, please tell me how.
also can anyone tell me where I can find fireware updates on the net?

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:28:51 AM

If your phone is customised (Vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile) you can't firmware
upgrade the phone yet as the software isn't availible - thats info is from a
Sony E Service Centre in North London (The best in London I might add)

The Prof

> "Axl" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.09.03.08.32.37.727638@a.com...
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:56:57 +1200, BC wrote:
>>
>>> I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed.
>>> The
>>> phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the
>>> pic
>>> quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
>>> subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
>>> disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around
>>> this?
>
>> Wouldn't this be simply solved by having your phone unlocked somewhere,
>> and then giving it to SE to upgrade the firmware? I was led to believe
>> that the machine autodetects the branding and upgrades the firmware to
>> keep it in place. But with unlocking beforehand, surely it would all
>> default to the SE unbranded defaults?
>>
>> Am I right here?
>
> I'm having a little trouble finding the unlocking codes/sequence... heck,
> I'm having trouble finding the firmware upgrades.
>
> I spoke to the people at Vodafone about the locked MP3-ringtone feature,
> and was told by their staff that they were not aware of this problem, and
> that there was nothing they could do for me. I was surprised, and told
> them that it was a worldwide problem, a very common worldwide problem.
> They thought I was mad or something...
>
> well, if someone finds a way to unlock this feature, please tell me how.
> also can anyone tell me where I can find fireware updates on the net?
>
> <=[BC]=>

September 4, 2004 1:28:52 AM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:11:30 +0000, TheProf807 wrote:

> If your phone is customised (Vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile) you can't firmware
> upgrade the phone yet as the software isn't availible - thats info is from a
> Sony E Service Centre in North London (The best in London I might add)
>
> The Prof

Yeah, BUT, if you get the phone unlocked, then technically speaking, it's
not customised anymore, which means that the service centre machine would
detect this, and just upgrade to the latest default SE firmware. That's my
theory, which I wanted to sound out here to see if it makes sense to
anyone. There are a few places in London that will unlock a K700 for you.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:28:53 AM

Doesn't work like that - unlocked just mean you can use it on any network -
customisation is the 'personal touch' each network provider give the phone.
For example if you have a Vodafone branded and customised phone then by
unlocking it you can use it on any network but the graphics and underlying
software on the phone will still be Vodafone.

Like I said the networks are aware of this issue- vodafone intend to have
the problem resolved by an 'over the air' upgrade en masse later this
month - you'll have to wait a bit longer for the hackers to come up with a
way to get around the network customisation issue - there are security issue
that if you try to get around will render your phone useless - so don't try
it yet.....

Hope that helps

The Prof

"Axl" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:p an.2004.09.03.15.25.55.16221@a.com...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:11:30 +0000, TheProf807 wrote:
>

>> If your phone is customised (Vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile) you can't
>> firmware
>> upgrade the phone yet as the software isn't availible - thats info is
>> from a
>> Sony E Service Centre in North London (The best in London I might add)
>>
>> The Prof
>>

> Yeah, BUT, if you get the phone unlocked, then technically speaking, it's
> not customised anymore, which means that the service centre machine would
> detect this, and just upgrade to the latest default SE firmware. That's my
> theory, which I wanted to sound out here to see if it makes sense to
> anyone. There are a few places in London that will unlock a K700 for you.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 2:20:32 AM

"Axl" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:p an.2004.09.03.15.25.55.16221@a.com...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:11:30 +0000, TheProf807 wrote:
>

>> If your phone is customised (Vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile) you can't
>> firmware
>> upgrade the phone yet as the software isn't availible - thats info is
>> from a
>> Sony E Service Centre in North London (The best in London I might add)
>>
>> The Prof
>>

> Yeah, BUT, if you get the phone unlocked, then technically speaking, it's
> not customised anymore,

I think you'll find it is very much still customised.

> which means that the service centre machine would
> detect this, and just upgrade to the latest default SE firmware.

No, the customisation if held in the firmware of the phone and has
absolutely nothing to do with the phone being locked.

> That's my
> theory, which I wanted to sound out here to see if it makes sense to
> anyone. There are a few places in London that will unlock a K700 for you.

Unlock it, yes. Unbrand it, no. No-one (including SE Service Centres) can
unbrand the K700i or F500 yet.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
September 8, 2004 8:31:44 PM

Richard,

thanks for the information. I didn't know they used GDFS/CDA number. Fair
enough then. Fingers crossed that they do the over the air upgrade (or
even a non over-the-air upgrade).
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 9:31:29 PM

"Axl" <a@a.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.09.08.15.31.44.603132@a.com...

> Richard,
>
> thanks for the information. I didn't know they used GDFS/CDA number. Fair
> enough then. Fingers crossed that they do the over the air upgrade (or
> even a non over-the-air upgrade).

Unbranding will come (eventually) for the K700i, but I can't see it being
any time soon, and I doubt very much that any official service centre will
offer to do it. I know many of the flashing solution teams are working on
it, but it's causing no end of problems.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:54:22 PM

"ronny" <ronny@ron.com> wrote in message

> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> > I just got me a new Ericsson K700i today... And I am NOT impressed.
The
> > phone itself's okay I guess, though I WAS a bit disappointed with the
pic
> > quality of its camera... (anyways you guys can probably guess from the
> > subject header WHY I am so pissed off...) Damn Vodafone! They have
> > disabled the using MP3 as ringtone feature?! Is there are way around
> this?
> >
> > <=[BC]=>
> >

> Can you send files to your phone ie bluetooth dongle??
>
> If so can you try somthing for me or anyone with a k700i
>
> rename the mp3 you want to copy to .mid
>
> send it to the phone
>
> try and assign it as a ringtone,
>
> I dont know if it will work, but I can play .mid files on my pc ok so dont
> see why it wont work
can't do it like that,
since on yr computer, it is windows media player u r using probably to play
both mp3 files and midi files, so it takes care of it (though i've not tried
it)
but on the phone , the s/w are always limited and the piece of s/w that
renders ringtone would not have codecs for playing mp3 files.

> Its a long shot but worth a try, I have left my dongle at work so cant
test
> it, I only got my phone today as well :)
>
> Ronny
>
> www.fsplanes.net

September 13, 2004 12:28:59 AM

I found on the net a solution to the Vodafone debacle with the K700i
and MP3s as a ringtone.

1. Go to the Nokia website (www.nokia.com) and download their PC Data
Suite. One of the options is the Multimedia player

2. Use that to open up the MP3 file (or WAV) you want as a ringtone

3. Save as an AMR file type

4. Load this file onto your K700i and use as a ringtone. Viola -
almost as good as the MP3.

This should help those of us that have been Vodaf*#cked.

!