Wassa good harddrive?

Thundremech

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
A harddrive's a harddrive right? I mean, it writes, and reads, and that's about the extent of it's capabilities right?
That makes for very uninteresting research. So here's what I'm gonna do.
I'm gonna cheat and ask, what's a good cost effective harddrive around 60 gigs?
And would I need anything special to put an additional HD in a couple years down, like would the motherboard have to have certain extra connections?

Ciao for now

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Go with the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=14&manufactory=1304&DEPA=1" target="_new">Maxtor D740X "L"</A> flavor. $94.00 at newegg. Pretty good deal.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dhlucke

Polypheme
A harddrive's a harddrive right? I mean, it writes, and reads, and that's about the extent of it's capabilities right?

Just my opinion, but after this last upgrade I found the hard drive to be the biggest bottleneck. The CPU, Memory, and Video are plenty fast, but I'm constantly waiting for the harddrive.

The new WD800JB is an 80 gig drive but has 8MB of cache (instead of 2MB) so that might be something you would want to at least consider. I don't have any experience with it but so far the new JB's are getting good reviews.

Check out storagereview.com

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>