Wassa good sound card?

I'm new to the technical side of PCs, but it's time to build my own PC.. or at least do some research on it before I go blow a bunch of green on crap.
But sound isn't really that important. I just want something good, that maybe supports 5.1 if it doesn't jack the price up.
What's a good, but inexpensive sound card?
What kind of features come in different sound cards?

Ciao for now

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.
7 answers Last reply
More about wassa good sound card
  1. You can look up the Santa Cruz Turtle Beach, the Hercules Game Theather XP, or Maybe the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer, Platinum, or the Extigy. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Maybe if you could give us your system specs it would help a bit. Also, I think speakers are just as if not more important when it comes to sound. I would recommend either the Logitech Z560 for games, these have the the most wicked bass I have ever seen (I have this set coupled with a Hercules Muse XL, its a pretty cheap sound card, but I get really good sound out of it! and this little bugger is loud!) Or maybe the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 (or 5.1 if you have the $$$ to spend it on).
    The Logitech Z560 run for about $130 US.
    The Klipsch Promedia 4.1 run for about the same, maybe a bit more. and the Promedia 5.1 are about $300 US I think.
    Check www.newegg.com for prices if you live in the States.

"If there's grass on the field...play ball!!"
  2. Here's a list of prices from Newegg.com

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xgamer - $84
    CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER BLASTER AUDIGY MP3+ - $85
    Sound Blaster Extigy - $119
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Retail Box - $166
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum eX - $208
    HERCULES GAMING THEATER XP 6.1 - RETAIL - $112
    VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - $58

Logitech's THX certified Z560 4.1 surround sound system -$129
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 THX Certified 5 piece Personal Audio System -$277
    Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX Certified 5 piece Personal Audio System -$375
    Monsoon MH-505 Flat Panel 6 Piece 5.1 Speaker -$139
    Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 Speaker -$229

Hope this helps!

3. And let me say the cheapest in both categories is actually either the best or close to it.

Anyone would be thrilled with a Santa Cruz and Z-560's.
    I am-) GTXP is the same thing as santa Cruz cept it uses a breakout box instead of having the connections on the card.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.
  4. I second that...now if I could only find a Canadian company that sells the Turtle Beach cards...

5. The Santa Cruz is an awesome sounding card for the money.

:redface: I STUCK MY HARD DRIVE INTERFACE :redface:
  6. bajs

This is my new <font color=blue>Updated</font color=blue> & <font color=red> Fresh </font color=red> sig.
  7. Canadian sellers? Here's one. They're not the cheepest but they are canadian (no duty charges) and they carry the GFXP.

<A HREF="http://www.dealsdirect.ca/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=56" target="_new">http://www.dealsdirect.ca/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=56</A>

--------------
    Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Build Components