Me VS. My Father : Memory Problems On A7V333

G

Me : Well, I suspect the Delayed Write Failure on Windows XP is caused by the memory.
Father : Nope, I think it's VIA's 4-in-1 driver's fault!
Me : No way, I got the Kingmax 512MB DDR (333MHz), and it ain't cheap! Now it screwed up the whole WinXP!
Father : Then, can you explain why this so-called Delayed Write Failure : cannot write in C:\$mft ?
Me : Heck, I don't know, the A7V333 is not even running on PC2700 specs, and the benchmark shows bandwidth up to PC2100 only!
Father : Then it's obviously caused by VIA's IDE driver.
Me : Gosh, must you blame everything on software while I blame the hardware itself???

Yeah, thats the whole conversation with Mr.Know-All-Dad.
The prob is :
1. I installed 2xPC2700 Kingmax 256MB DDR SDRAM on my new Asus A7V333.
2. Asus's BIOS showed nothing about the memory frequency, suspected nothing.
3. Booted up WinXP, damn it's fast!
4. Decided to do a clean install, been there done that, created an image of the partition and stored it elsewhere.
5. Changed some regular settings on WinXP that requires me to restart my computer.
6. Upon bootup, WinXP gives an error message, something about 'Delayed Write Failure' with message something like : 'The data cannot be saved into C:\$mft . The data might be lost'

My question is :
1. Please enlighten me about this Delayed Write failure.
2. Why my memory runs only at PC2100 instead of PC2700?
3. If you have 10 bucks, with whom you gonna put your money on, me or my father?
4. If it's a hardware-side problem, could you just gimme a guess, which one caused the probs : the CPU (AthlonXP 2100+), the RAM or the hard disk (60GB ATA133 Maxtor)
5. Any solutions to the 4 questions above?

note : BIOS is set to default, and there's no way of altering the memory's frequency from the setup!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'd put my money on neither. Check you CAS settings in your BIOS to see if you're running it lower then the RAM is rated for (faster). Also do the suggested BIOS upgrade.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

metal143

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Hey goto www.asus.com and grab the new BIOS update
1.06 it fixes this problem. The new BIOS supports DDR 333
and fixes a couple other issues.

then all should be solved

Later