Sign in with
Your question

My pci express network card can't be read?!?

Last response: in Networking
May 22, 2012 9:09:34 AM

I have a motherboard intel DG41RQ and it has a built in lan card but i wanted to put another lan card via the PCI express slot and i put it and the flash lights on the network card are flashing but still the hardware manager and everything on the computer haven't even noticed that i put a new hardware, and that is really driving me mad. any help plz
May 22, 2012 9:47:53 PM

Did you install the driver for the PCIe card yet? Once you do it manually, since it wasn't PnP recognized, the machine should recognize it and work fine.
m
l
May 22, 2012 10:11:49 PM

I am sorry to say that but i don't know which driver should i get to it and i tried the driver detective but i don't have a crack or anything he detected the prob but i am stuck with the registration.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 3:12:16 AM

Never use anything like Driver Detective they will just screw everything up, figure out what card you have and just download the proper driver from the manufacturer website. What card do you have?

And don't expect devices to work unless you install drivers.
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:25:21 AM

I have a network card D-link, but some hardware work with the auto driver install of the windows 7, the prob is that i cant even see the card in the device manager.
m
l
May 23, 2012 2:13:11 PM

Is either or both actually installed in the computer? If so, remove both, read the model on the DLink, then reinstall it alone. List the DLink model here.
m
l
May 23, 2012 3:35:26 PM

Look i found a lot of numbers on the card but the number on the chipset was DL10028A.
m
l
May 23, 2012 4:44:02 PM

I am running windows 7 64 bit will this driver work?
m
l
May 23, 2012 4:48:36 PM

Possibly, you would have to install them in compatibility mode -- i.e. download the driver and then right click on it, compatibility tab, and select Win XP SP2 as the mode. It's worth a try, I have about 80% success with that on my 64 bit Win 7 installs and old drivers.
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:01:51 PM

OK then i will re-install the card nw and try the driver and i will tell u the news and thx very much for ur help.
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:03:23 PM

NM -- the second is onboard. :bounce:  Good luck!
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:11:20 PM

Now i have anther big prob, i am posting this from my laptop my desktop doesnt want to start up at all after i reinstalled the card i tried to open it and i got no response not even the beep of the motherboard and only a black screen with the led flash of the screen like it's on standbye, so i tried to remove the ram and start the pc without it, so the motherboard gave me 3 beep, i reinstalled them and also nothing i even tried to remove the vga card also i got nothing plz help me i am so woried about that.
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:14:35 PM

You cannot start a computer without ram and graphics so put them back and insure that everything is properly seated and connected, including any power needed to the graphic card. Uninstall the network card and try restarting the computer.
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:29:12 PM

I tried all that and still nothing only the fans are working :S
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:48:52 PM

I know that the three beeps were because that i removed the memory but now all is back and i cleaned all the cards and reseated them and still nothing not even a single beep is coming up.
m
l
May 24, 2012 4:56:00 PM

Check everything and reseat the memory.
m
l
May 24, 2012 5:25:14 PM

The fact that the system is complaining about a lack of ram when you removed all of the ram sticks is at least a good sign. As has already been mentioned, you probably just inadvertently bumped another device (most likely the video card) when you reinstalled your add-in network card. Remove and reseat all of the expansion cards you have in that computer and power the system back on. I doubt anything has been damaged permanently at this point.
m
l
May 24, 2012 5:39:09 PM

I did all that and i removed all the cards and cleaned them and i am sure they are seated good but still nothing and also i reset the bios by the jumper and still nothing and the weird thing is that when i push the restart button the computer turn off only and dont restart! I really dunno wt's wrong :S
m
l
May 24, 2012 5:58:15 PM

Did you put the bios clear jumper back to the default position? Or remove the ATX12V power connector, or GPU power connector (if the card needs one)?

I don't think that anything is wrong with your computer, just something not connected properly, since there were no issues before you removed the PCIe card.
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:08:08 PM

I checked everything more than 5 times and nothing works.
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:14:46 PM

You must be missing something, take a break and then carefully go over everything again.
m
l
May 24, 2012 11:15:19 PM

I retried now and still nothing i am starting to worry about the motherboard and btw HDD led doesnt flash at all not even once while the pc starts up.
m
l
May 24, 2012 11:29:10 PM

Don't worry, I've built hundreds of machines and never had a motherboard go out if I received it in working condition from UPS, so it is very likely something minor.

The HDD light requires that the two wire connection to the motherboard is attached -- check to see that it is not loose.

Now when you say nothing happens -- do you mean absolutely nothing, no indication of power at all? If so, you need to check the breaker to the receptacle (like plug a lamp in to the other half of the receptacle), then check the PSU 20/24 pin and ATX 12V 4/8 pin connection to the motherboard.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:09:48 AM

By nothing happens i mean no voices and nor the beep of the startup only the fans are working and the lamp on the motherboard, and i don't understand wt i should do to make sure that the motherboard is ok
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:52:06 PM

Really the only way to test the motherboard is to step by step try different parts, but that would be the last thing that I would try.

With all the work you have done there may also be a short under the board from it touching a part of the case somewhere -- I remove everything and do a bench build on a sheet of cardboard to check that and also it is a chance to remove and replace all the parts and cables carefully to insure good connections. In fact I assemble almost all my machines that way first to test them and then put the build into the case.
m
l
May 25, 2012 5:32:34 PM

Ok i will try that and give u the news as soon as possible.
m
l
May 27, 2012 3:43:17 PM

I tried everything, i removed every peace and i de-attached each single wire and cleaned everything and i also i tired to start the pc outside the case on a carton and still nothing changed :S
m
l
May 27, 2012 5:30:53 PM

Sounds like you need someone to actually look at the build with you -- preferably someone with significant troubleshooting experience.

Here are a few other ideas -- but do them carefully ONE at a time to isolate the issue.

If everything is properly attached and connected, and you have removed any unneeded parts (like the extra LAN card) I would start by using a single stick of RAM in the first slot and go through all your sticks to see if one has a short.

I would also remove the graphic card and try using the onboard graphics.

Then I would take my multimeter to the PSU to insure that the power and ATX12V 4/8 pin are working. If you haven't done this before have someone help you that knows about this.
m
l
May 27, 2012 6:30:27 PM

OK i did everything about the ram and the VGA and still the same but i dont know how i should do that thing about the power supply.
m
l
May 27, 2012 6:39:15 PM

Since you had the three beeps from the memory before you removed it but not after, I suspect that something is wrong there. Can you test it in another machine?

Couldn't hurt to clear the CMOS with the jumper again, and then return it to the default (usually 1-2) position.
m
l
May 27, 2012 7:26:01 PM

I cleared the CMOS and still nothing and i have 2 rams so i tried each of them without the other one but on the same machine because i dont have any other to try on and still nothing so i dont think the 2 rams broke down together!
m
l
May 27, 2012 8:16:04 PM

You can also try another ram slot if your board does not require one in the first slot. No, unlikely that both sticks went bad.
m
l
May 28, 2012 12:29:29 PM

I tried each ram in a diff slot and still the same.
m
l
May 6, 2013 3:06:51 PM

I just want to point out that I had a very similar issue with a GTX 660 on a desktop these past two days, losing the whole days researching on what could be the issue.

The issue as often happens with issues was closer to home than I thought it would be. All I had to do was make sure the graphics card was clicked into place, that I heard that damn click of the graphics card getting inside the latch and the latch closing in on the gpu.

A few weeks earlier, I had the very same issue with the RAM, and it just didn't occur to me that this was what was happening with the GPU. It was only when I saw the latch close in on a much smaller GPU I was putting in there to split test to see if it was the 660s fault, and then I thought oh shit, this could be it, and sure enough it was. But that doesn't take back the two days of my life down the drain, nor does it take away the two days a couple of weeks ago I spent researching about the RAM, so be warned people, make sure these damn things latch in to save lost time.
m
l
!