Any FireWire TV Tuner devices?

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Does anyone have any preferences on External TV Tuner devices? Are there any Firewire available, and if so are they better for video capture than USB?

If not, which USB Tuner would be the best?

I have a Laptop with USB and Firewire, which is where I would use this the most.

tekmachine

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I haven't seen any firewire external tv tuners. I understand that some USB ones suffer compared to PCI equivalents because of bandwidth issues, but haven't personally tried them to say for sure. It's a wonder they haven't released any external firewire/usb 2.0 tuners yet (that I'm aware of)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
USB isn't very good. Because of bandwidth issues you will only be able to capture in mpeg1 (vcd quality), there's simply not enough bandwidth to capture in mpeg2 (dvd quality).

I've never heard of a firewire capture card. That's not saying that they don't exist, just that I don't know of any. Firewire has a larger bandwidth than USB, so if a card exists it should supposedly be better than USB. Just check the specs and see if it can capture in mpeg 2 and what the maxium screen resolution is.

USB 2.0 cards would be a good choice as well providing that you have a USB 2.0 port (unlikely on all but the newest laptops). Once again I don't know if USB 2.0 capture cards exist.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Well, to hook it up as a webcam with an older Camcorder, so I can strip for my Girlfriend who is off at college, and she has USB and Firewire, so I could let her take it and have her strip for me. :)

But, mostly I want it for fairly good TV and video capture, and so I can play GameCube and Xbox using my Computer as a screen.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
there are no fireware capture card but some included 1 or 2 fireware connectors to plug camcoders or others...

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
but unfortunately tv tuner card havent firewire.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
hey, he speaks uniquely about a tv tuner card, not more.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
but what for the hell firewire on tv tuner uniquely capacity device?
to connect a VCR or a camcoder? these devices already exist & they are calling multifunctions graphics cards (eg ATI AWI Radeon 8500DV, ...) or video capturing card (eg Pinnacle DV500 plus, ...).

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
And how, pray tell, will he install these on his laptop computer?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.