Replacement for Z600

Last response: in Brands
September 2, 2004 1:15:32 AM

Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?

Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!

--
Kev

More about : replacement z600

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:30:54 PM

"Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>
> Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
> K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!

Although it's a 3G phone, I would recommend a Z1010.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 7:24:37 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ch5e5k$sjn$1@hercules.btinternet.com> on Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:15:32 +0000
(UTC), "Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>
>Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
>K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!

The Z500 seems cool (EDGE enabled) except it lacks Bluetooth! Whatever where
they thinking?! It may not even have IrDA.

September 2, 2004 9:23:17 PM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
>>Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>>
>>Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
>>K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!
>
> The Z500 seems cool (EDGE enabled) except it lacks Bluetooth! Whatever
> where
> they thinking?! It may not even have IrDA.

Yep, useless for me without BT

--
Kev
Anonymous

"BorreBoy" <borreXXX@lucasfilm.dk> wrote in message

>> Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>>
>> Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
>> K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!
>
> Although it's a 3G phone, I would recommend a Z1010.

Yep, looks nice but not Triband.

--
Kev
Anonymous

> "BorreBoy" <borreXXX@lucasfilm.dk> wrote in message
> >
> >> Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
> >>
> >> Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like
the
> >> K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!
> >
> > Although it's a 3G phone, I would recommend a Z1010.
> >
> Yep, looks nice but not Triband.

Well, there's no use for gsm 1900 here in Denmark :-)
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 2:47:43 AM

> the
>> >
>> > Although it's a 3G phone, I would recommend a Z1010.
>> >
>> Yep, looks nice but not Triband.
>
> Well, there's no use for gsm 1900 here in Denmark :-)

Nor here but I visit the US fairly frequently so it's useful.

--
Kev
Anonymous

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, at 22:47:43 [GMT +0000 (UTC)] (08:47:43 Friday, 3
September 2004 where I live) "Kevin Spin" wrote:

>> Well, there's no use for gsm 1900 here in Denmark :-)
>>
> Nor here but I visit the US fairly frequently so it's useful.

Any news of SE using quad band in near future?

Motorola and Palm Treo now have this (extra band is 850 whatever they are
called); AT&T and Cingular (to all intents and purposes the one and same)
seem to be doing all their GSM expansion on this band.

I know the P910a has 850/1800/1900, but the full four would help me as I
travel Europe, Asia, Oz, USA frequently.

--
Error: File not found. Fake it (Y/N)?
Anonymous

John Phillips<flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<35369955.20040904201139@deadspam.com>...
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, at 22:47:43 [GMT +0000 (UTC)] (08:47:43 Friday, 3
> September 2004 where I live) "Kevin Spin" wrote:

> I know the P910a has 850/1800/1900, but the full four would help me as I
> travel Europe, Asia, Oz, USA frequently.

I thought the fourth (850) was mostly used in South America - if you
have 1900, you can get by in the US quite nicely (I did, in 2000, with
an Ericsson R520m).
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:49:20 PM

"Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<ch5e5k$sjn$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>
> Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
> K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!

The Z600s left - and there are plenty - are now going very cheap. Get
a spare one (preferably from a provider that doesn't lock its phones)
on a cheap contract.

The Nokia 6260 looks like a good replacement. I know it's the "wrong"
brand for this board, but forgetting the manufacturer for a sec, in
most respects it looks like a natural upgrade from a Z600 if the
clamshell form factor is important.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 11:27:17 PM

On 6 Sep 2004, at 14:47:17 [GMT -0700] (07:47:17 Tuesday, 7 September 2004
where I live) "Andrew Thomas" wrote:

> I thought the fourth (850) was mostly used in South America -

Cingular & AT&T (one & same in reality) seem to be doing all expansion on 850
Mhz

--
Tried to play my shoehorn... all I got was footnotes!
Anonymous

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ff692cff.0409061347.60839d63@posting.google.com> on 6 Sep 2004 14:47:17
-0700, andrewj_nospamthomas@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Thomas) wrote:

>John Phillips<flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<35369955.20040904201139@deadspam.com>...
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, at 22:47:43 [GMT +0000 (UTC)] (08:47:43 Friday, 3
>> September 2004 where I live) "Kevin Spin" wrote:
>
>> I know the P910a has 850/1800/1900, but the full four would help me as I
>> travel Europe, Asia, Oz, USA frequently.
>
>I thought the fourth (850) was mostly used in South America - if you
>have 1900, you can get by in the US quite nicely (I did, in 2000, with
>an Ericsson R520m).

Depends on the carrier. T-Mobile is 1900-only, but 850 has become a big deal
here in the USA because of TDMA conversion to GSM by ATTWS and Cingular.
While you can get by with 1900 only in many areas, coverage and quality of
service on ATTWS/Cingular will now be better in many areas with 850.

September 8, 2004 1:03:38 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.ericsson - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ff692cff.0409061349.2f8f7d15@posting.google.com> on 6 Sep 2004 14:49:20
-0700, andrewj_nospamthomas@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Thomas) wrote:

>"Kevin Spin" <K.spam@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<ch5e5k$sjn$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
>> Any news of a forthcoming replacement for Z600?
>>
>> Very pleased with it but am due an upgrade - the upright phones like the
>> K500i and K700 don't appeal - prefer a flip!
>
>The Z600s left - and there are plenty - are now going very cheap. Get
>a spare one (preferably from a provider that doesn't lock its phones)
>on a cheap contract.
>
>The Nokia 6260 looks like a good replacement. I know it's the "wrong"
>brand for this board, but forgetting the manufacturer for a sec, in
>most respects it looks like a natural upgrade from a Z600 if the
>clamshell form factor is important.

Except that it falls short in other areas:

* Only Class 6 GPRS (i.e., slower than Class 8 Sony Ericsson & Motorola)
* No EDGE
* Larger & heavier (102 x 49 x 23 mm, 130 g)
* Vaporware
* Probably expensive

Another disappointment, which like the Sony Ericsson Z500 lacks Bluetooth, is
the Motorola T725:

* Class 8 GPRS
* EDGE (but only Class 4)
* Smaller & lighter (90 x 47.5 x 23 mm, 101 g)
* No camera [yea!]
* No Bluetooth or even IR [sigh]
* Seems to be vanishing with barely a trace

Another option coming from Sony Ericsson is the S710a.

* Class 8 GPRS
* EDGE
* Memory Stick Duo
* Good screen (but exposed)
* Larger & heavier (107.5 x 49 x 24.5 mm, 137 g) [sigh]
* MP3 & MPEG4
* Swivel rather than clamshell
* Probably expensive

For comparison purposes, the Z600 is 90 x 48 x 27 mm, 110 g.

Bottom line: Except for lack of EDGE (and being a bit thick), the Z600
remains a very competitive handset, particularly for those that prefer the
clamshell form factor.