"no 80 conductor cable installed"

I go this message when I tried to to install a 2.5" travelstar drive in my desktop. The cable I have works fine with older 2.5" drives, the cable is a 40 wire cable with 4 extra wires linked to a power connector.

I have tried turning off the UDMA in the bios of my K7VZA motherboard, and have set the disk drive to various lower levels of UDMA using a utility I found at www.ibm.com/harddrive (there are some excellent disk utilities there) all to no avail.

The most straightforward solution would be to purchase a new 80 pin cable with the requisite power wires, but I can not find one. There is a connector in the recent THG article on setting up 2.5" drives in a raid 0 configuration that would probably help, but I can find no part number or description for this.

Can anyone make some suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about conductor cable installed
  1. You can ignore that message if you don't care about not achieving optimal performance (ATA66 or better) with your drive. It's just a warning, doesn't mean the system is unstable or anything. If you want to take advantage of higher UDMA levels, you need the 80 conductor cable.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Cable Storage