Wired Network with Wireless Capability

armedtoe

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I will soon be purchasing a device that relies on wireless connection (kindle fire), but my network is wired.
I do not want to change everything to wireless, so is there a way for me to change a single port to wireless?
Perhaps there is a USB device that could transmit to it?

Solution
If you use a USB dongle to set up an ad hoc wireless connection from a wired computer and bridge the adapters or use ICS it will work, but the desktop machine will have to be on at the time.

I would just get a cheap router (something like a DLink DIR 655) and configure it as an AP -- it will only cost a little more and will give much more flexibility. You don't need to change your existing network other than assigning the AP an address. If you decide to go that way, just post the router model and I'll walk you through the setup for your network.

RealBeast

Titan
If you use a USB dongle to set up an ad hoc wireless connection from a wired computer and bridge the adapters or use ICS it will work, but the desktop machine will have to be on at the time.

I would just get a cheap router (something like a DLink DIR 655) and configure it as an AP -- it will only cost a little more and will give much more flexibility. You don't need to change your existing network other than assigning the AP an address. If you decide to go that way, just post the router model and I'll walk you through the setup for your network.

Solution