Sign in with
Your question

350 gb

Last response: in Windows 7
April 6, 2012 10:31:09 PM

Hello,
I have a disk (350GB) which is partitioned into 3 = 1 is just the mft files no drive allocated, c: is my operating system and d: was the operating system. I need to change C: to boot now rather than my d:. When i start up. When I start up my machine, I have to press f1 to get started then 2 win 7 shows up. I have to move the arrow down to select the second to boot up, how do I change it, please could you help. Also is there a way to change the D: not to be an operating system.

More about : 350

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 10:40:45 PM

It would help to know how you got into that predicament int he first place.

And what does "just the mft files no drive allocated" mean?
m
l
April 6, 2012 10:49:47 PM

its the primary partition. well I tried to do old style reformatting, but with the new computer which is laptop is a bit strange as I could not get the dos boot up. I went into the bios but it is not as in the old school. but anyway I managed to download a program that helped me to my my d drive which was much bigger than my c drve a c and therefore swopped the two drives then I could not see the smaller drive and loaded windows on both drive then I saw the drive when I booted, but tried to take the files off. did not work, now I need to make the d drive not bootable but still want it as my extra drive to store music and so on on it. Haha, must laugh... cause of my stupidity
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 10:53:47 PM

OK,
Are you talking about two different physical drives? Or just partitions on 1 physical drive?
m
l
April 6, 2012 10:55:08 PM

just partitions
m
l
April 6, 2012 10:56:11 PM

well one disk with 2 partitions and both is boot
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 10:59:29 PM

Dee_49 said:
I have a disk (350GB) which is partitioned into 3 = 1 is just the mft files no drive allocated
MFT is.... the primary BOOT partition? and it doesn't have a drive letter?
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:08:31 PM

Well the easiest way to change your boot up would be if one copy of windows can recognize the other.

Type msconfig into the run prompt.
Go to the boot tabe and see if both copies of windows show up. If they do just chose the one that you want it to automatically select.
It will force you to reboot and if you did it right then it should automatically select the correct boot partition.

Let us know how it goes either way.
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:20:12 PM

great it removed the second one, but I still have to boot with f1 key and then enter, it just does not go into the windows automatically as it used to do. But I suppose it is ok if there is no way to get out of it. it starts up with ASUS then I press f1 key and then the windows7 shows and then I press enter and it takes me into windows. have deleted the other windows7. so only one show. thanks
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:30:41 PM

thanks for all the help
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:35:38 PM

sounds like you have your multi-boot issue resolved however it almost sounds like the hold at post is a seperate issue.
it almost sounds like your MB is recognizing hardware changes everytime you boot hence the "hit f1 to continue" ..
how old is this computer?
do you notice that the if you set the time on the computer it changes once you reboot?
what I am trying to get at is if this is an older computer you may need to change your CMOS battery
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 11:40:22 PM

Quote:
my best friend's mom makes $86 hourly working online. She has been unemployed for nine months but last month her paycheck was $16953 just working online for a few hours. Read more on this site Lazycash9.com

Get lost.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2012 11:46:32 PM

F1 and BIOS:
I don't think it would be the battery.

F1 is usually there because you have an issue in your BIOS that needs to be corrected.

Based on your symptoms I suspect it might be that your hard drive isn't selected or listed properly for the BOOT ORDER.

You need to go into your BIOS and correct the issue.

You don't need the hard drive selected FIRST in the boot order, however you need to make sure that your boot drive is selected as the hard drive.

Other:
If you have more than one hard drive, unhook it/them temporarily and just boot with the main drive.
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:53:16 PM

the bios only give me one hard drive anyway as I only have 1 hd. so i did select it as boot, but the problem is still there. sorry
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:04:09 AM

There's a program out there called EasyBCD that will allow you to make changes to the boot order, priority, add things remove, it's simple to use and I think free... You can make the Windows you want the first boot and that will take care of that.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 12:06:53 AM

photonboy said:
Get lost.
You could edit your post so that spam advert (that has already been removed) doesn't show up in your post.
Report them - don't re-post them.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 12:09:27 AM

I'm still wondering if that unused 19.53gb healthy (primary partition) could be causing that remaining issue. Just can't figure out if it's that... or some other issue already mentioned.
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:28:22 AM

I know it is it. wonder what will happen if you delete it but tried and no way can I get rid of it
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:30:40 AM

it was when i tried to restore but the restore did not correctly restored and i think this is wat caused the problem with that 19.53gb prob
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 12:35:12 AM

I'm thinking that 19GB partition might have had your OS recovery image or software.
What's the make and model of your system?
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:53:11 AM

ASUS X52F Intel Pentium P6100 2.0 GHz - Bought last year - (laptop)
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 1:22:39 AM

My advice is to obtain the OFFICIAL INSTALL CD's. You may have to pay $10.

Then:
1) save any important data
2) install Windows from the CD's (you can partition later if you need to)
3) update drivers etc. (drivers must be from the official support site for your laptop)
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 1:28:37 AM

photonboy said:
My advice is to obtain the OFFICIAL INSTALL CD's. You may have to pay $10.

Then:
1) save any important data
2) install Windows from the CD's (you can partition later if you need to)
3) update drivers etc. (drivers must be from the official support site for your laptop)

Hi :) 

WOW those cds are cheap in the US ???

In the UK they are between £40 and £90....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:56:46 PM

how do I make my logical drive to primary drive
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 4:32:14 AM

Brett928S2 said:

WOW those cds are cheap in the US ???

In the UK they are between £40 and £90....

I'm talking about replacement discs for a copy of Windows you already had installed. HP sent us some for free. I noticed many places started charging $10.

Laptop hard drives have a hidden partition with a backup copy but if it gets corrupted or the drive fails you need the original discs for that laptop from the laptop's manufacturer to reinstall Windows.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 12:55:19 PM

photonboy said:
I'm talking about replacement discs for a copy of Windows you already had installed. HP sent us some for free. I noticed many places started charging $10.

Laptop hard drives have a hidden partition with a backup copy but if it gets corrupted or the drive fails you need the original discs for that laptop from the laptop's manufacturer to reinstall Windows.

I am talking about exactly the same thing...and thats the price in the UK...WE HAVE BOUGHT THEM MANY TIMES for customers in my computer shops....

We have NEVER got them free or as cheap as the US...

m
l
April 8, 2012 2:29:54 PM

Hi to everyone who helped me, I eventually managed to reformat my hard drive and got it sorted, but want to thank everyone for your help
m
l
Related resources
!