cyberdrive cdrw

G

I have been building a computer from scratch. I cannot get my computer to recognise that I have a cyberdrive cdrw. It does not power up at post. However, if I take out the IDE cable leaving the power cable in, it receives power as i can open the tray. Also it is recognised in my other computer so the drive itself is not faulty.
I have tried it in all the master/slave cominations I can think of. (My Pioneer dvd works on the secondary ide channel, but I have taken that out while I tried to get the computer to recognise the cdrw.) Something is obviously happening as when the cdrw is connected it slows the computer down at power-up and it takes ages to get to the Windows 98 splash screen (disconnected it whizzes through)
I have tried to auto detect in the bios.
I have run out of ideas.
I have a ecs k7s6a motherboard with athlon 1800 and a maxtor 40gb hard drive set as primary master
Please help

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's a strange problem all right. I'd try a different IDE cable even an 80-conductor one. For testing you might want to disconnect all other ATA devices just to see if your BIOS will even recognize the drive.

If you do get it working I recommend downloading the Nero and InCD updates at <A HREF="http://www.nero.com" target="_new">www.nero.com</A>. The version of InCD (3.18 I think) that shipped with my 36X Cyberdrive was giving me BSODs and IDE slowdowns with Windows 98SE. InCD 3.24.3 works great, though.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

G

Thanks for the advice, phsstpok. I have tried both your suggestions and it's still not playing. The drive does work though because i can install it on my older computer. i have tried it through a promise ultra 100 card as well on the new motherboard and it doesn't recognise it either.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, it's got me stumped. Sorry.

Your problem reminds me of one with newer Western Digital drives not being recognized on some Abit motherboards (mostly KT7 & KT7A boards). The drives weren't being recognize at the BIOS level. The problem turned out to be a glitch in the drives' firmware. The fix was a replacement cable from Western Digital that had pins 1 & 2 cut (on an 80 conductor cable). I'm not suggesting this as a fix for your problem. I just mentioned it because the problems sound similar.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>