Sign in with
Your question

How to get wifi setting on dell inspiron 1440

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 4, 2012 12:39:43 AM

cannot find a button to enable wifi on wife's dell 1440. do not know the combination of function keys to enable wifi. self diagnostic says wifi is turned off. please e-mail reply to surfcaster44@gmail.com. thanks in advance!
May 4, 2012 6:15:15 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The combination is the Fn key (left of spacebar) and one of the Function keys (above the numbers) and I think it's the F2 key. Press them at the same time and an icon should appear in the bottom right hand corner.

It's probably safer to edit your e-mail address out - making it so public gives the idiots who ship out Spam by the thousand an address to send it from. You'll also receive more than your fair share.

May 8, 2012 1:19:16 PM

Hello surfcaster44,
My name is Krishna and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Check the BIOS to ensure the wireless card is detected. Also verify the Wireless setting is turned on and not set to Always Off. To enter the setup, you need to tap F2 when the system boots up.

To activate wireless, Hold Down the FN Key on the keyboard and press F2. On the Inspiron 1440, the Fn key need not be used in combination with various Multimedia keys. The default setting in the BIOS is ”Multimedia Key First”. If the user wishes to use the Fn key combinations, the option in the BIOS should be accordingly set to ”Function Key First”. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dell-Kris K
!