Sending WAN from one router through another router

Steven78

Honorable
May 24, 2012
For my work I am looking to create wireless capabilities to remote locations. To do this we are using a standard modem/router that is connected to an Engenius (802.11b/g) wireless outdoor radio connected to a dish antenna. We are able to go to locations (3+km) and then with a corresponding receiving antenna (using LoS), receive the Internet and connect both to computers at the transmitting point as well as to the WWW. The problem exists is that we want to employ a series of routers at the receiving end that would be able to carry the transmission to a different location (relatively close), due to the fact that some of the locations do not have line of sight to the antennas.
We are using Encore routers, model # ENHWI-N3. When we connect the radio's Ethernet into the routers WAN reciever, we can connect to the Internet with a computer. The problem exists is we want to pass that connection over to a second router (R2). This connection is done when the routers are on access points set to a WDS function with R1 having R2's mac address and vice versa. Both routers are set to channel 1. Even when the routers are seperated by distances >50m a computer plugged into R2 can see a computer plugged into R1. Files can be transferred between the 2 computers wirelessly at speed around 3 mbps. However computer 2 on R2 can not connect to the WWW. This router features a spot that lights up if it has Internet access and R1's is lit up but R2's is not. How do we transfer the Internet and not just a LAN from R1 to R2 so it can be accessed further away from the point of the radio and antenna equipment.
This setup has also been used where R2 is hardwired to R3. At R3 we change the channel to 11, and then connect through that with mac addresses wirelessly to 4th router. If comp is in R4 and far away it can still access and file share from comp at R1.

I apologize if my lack of expertise has left important details out, or is ignoring basic concepts. If you post I can update.

*edit the ip address for the routers exist all on 192.168.1.xxx If the 3rd number is different between routers would this make a difference? The routers are all on static ips. Also it makes sense that we would want to set the routers to repeater mode, but when we do we are unable to access that router directly (typing in the routers ip) and if we want to change settings we need a hard reset.

RealBeast

Titan
Since you have no responses so far, I'm going to ask a couple of questions to stimulate the discussion, as I find your issue very interesting.

Is the DHCP for the entire network controlled by R1, i.e. is it a single /24 network (mask 255.255.255.0)? So for example R1 has an IP of 192.168.1.1, and R2 is .2 and R3 is .3, R4 is .4, then all the clients are .5 to .254?

DHCP is off for R2, R3, R4?

When you attach R2, R3 and R4 to the signal from R1 are you using an LAN port (or WAN)?