SB Audigy Gamer and AMD + VIA

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I was originally look at the Santa Cruz, but now I see the Audigy Gamer is nearly the same price plus it has the Advanced EAX features and the firewire port.

My main concern is compatibility, since I run an AMD XP cpu with a Via chipset mobo (Asus A7v266-e). I've heard the Audigy line doesn't work well with Via chipsets, or have I heard wrong?

Or is the Santa Cruz a better card?

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Santa Cruz is a better card. The only thing the Audigy has that the Cruz doesn't is EAX Advanced HD (only one game currently out supports it, more will follow) and the firewire port.

The Cruz has better sound quality (obviously an opinion), better 3D positioning and much better drivers.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
And the Santa Cruz doesnt have creatives compatibility problems with VIA/AMD combinations either. The audigy is a very very poor choice for you. The SC is a very very good choice.

edit: dont care for your sig.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/16/02 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I'm running an AMD 1900+ with a VIA chipset motherboard with an Audigy Gamer card with no problems whatsoever, and it rocks as a matter of fact its a SOYO Dragon board that came with onboard 5.1 surround but doing a test comparison the Audigy card sounded so much better I disabled the onboard sound and went with the Audigy. Preference is in the mind of the beholder.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Not every setup has problems-) but there's been alot....

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
Hmm, so what I'm hearing is that the Santa Cruz actually has better sound quality then the Audigy gamer? I know it may be minute...but like what difference in quality are we talking about?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Ah, thats a twick queztion. (spelling errors done on purpose)

Audigy has cooler effects but they dont always sound realistic and arent always placed well at all. It only seems to work right in the audigy sound demo, heh.

The difference is technically in the "reverb". The Crystal Audio Sensura chipset doesnt have the deep reverb of the Audigy...but its actualy more realistic as the audigy just reverbs everything to hell and back to give the impression that its doing something cool when in fact its NOT. Bottom line, Ghost Recon, debatably the finest audio in a game out there, sounds better on the Santa Cruz / GTXP than the Audigy.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/22/02 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>