I have Personal Cinema & 8500DV

mpegg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
For those interested in the difference between the Nvidia Personal Cinema and the ATI AIW 8500DV I have both. My chief goal is TV recording on the PC and playback over a PC or TV. I wanted the ATI product to work so much, but even after installing all the latest downloads, the TV quality was far inferior to the Nvidia Personal Cinema. I'm running a 100 feet of TV cable, but the Personal Cinema handled it fine and the 8500 handled it awful. If all the ATI features worked it'd be a better card than Nvidia's, but I also had constant software crashes. The Nvidia card is not as powerful a graphics card, and doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the ATI card, but what it has works. I'm returning my ATI card and getting a 2nd Nvidia, although I wish they had a version with a more powerful GPU.

G

< I'm running a 100 feet of TV cable, but the Personal Cinema handled it fine and the 8500 handled it awful. >
in that case you could buy a TV cable signal amplifier to compensate the 100 feet distance.