Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Opposite Of A 10db Pad

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Dear fellow audiophiles,

I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional ECM-66B
lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than is
ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!

Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be a
good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky thingy
doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks much.

Cheers,

Charles

More about : opposite 10db pad

March 19, 2005 1:31:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <C_S_d.34986$rB3.6555059@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote:

> Dear fellow audiophiles,
>
> I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional ECM-66B
> lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
> for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than is
> ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!
>
> Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be a
> good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky thingy
> doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks much.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles
>
>
>

A mic preamp is what you're after, many flavors available.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Cyrus" <invalid@i.like.spam> wrote in message
news:invalid-5B8632.02404319032005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com...
> A mic preamp is what you're after, many flavors available.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll investigate.

Cheers,

Charles
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 19, 2005 6:47:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Charles,
You could insert a step up transformer between the mic output and Edirol R-1
in.

peter

"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote in message
news:C_S_d.34986$rB3.6555059@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Dear fellow audiophiles,
>
> I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional
> ECM-66B
> lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
> for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than
> is
> ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!
>
> Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be a
> good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky
> thingy
> doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks
> much.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:31:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"peter" <peter@NOSPAMta.com> wrote in message
news:D 1hhj9$ksv$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Charles,
> You could insert a step up transformer between the mic output and Edirol
R-1
> in.

Several people have suggested that but curiously, when I asked about them at
no less than four supposedly professional audio stores in New York, Sam Ash,
Manny's, Two Lines, and Radio Shack, not a single person knew what I was
talking about. I was a bit shocked.

As for portable mic preamps, nothing portable enough appears to exist. One
person suggested that the R-1's line in might have more gain than the mic in
if I were interested in a low impedance to high impedance converter. So I
purchased one, and I'm hoping that that might be the solution. I was freely
warned that switching impedance would have NO effect on gain, and that if
that were to work out the only reason would be if the R-1, for some reason,
had more gain on its line in than mic in. We shall see.

Cheers,

Charles
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote in message
news:Kd__d.35282$rB3.6588919@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> One
> person suggested that the R-1's line in might have more gain than the mic
in
> if I were interested in a low impedance to high impedance converter. So I
> purchased one, and I'm hoping that that might be the solution. I was
freely
> warned that switching impedance would have NO effect on gain, and that if
> that were to work out the only reason would be if the R-1, for some
reason,
> had more gain on its line in than mic in. We shall see.

We have. No difference.

Cheers,
Charles
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

There is surprisingly to you a passive "gain" phenomenon here!
A flat-response 1:3 xformer inserted in the mic path gives 3 x i/p level
voltage (of the mic) at 9 x i/p Z - or its secondary adds nearly 10dB
"apparent gain" into an i/p Z actually at least 10 times as high as the
xformer primary Z, when it should deliver onwards quite tolerable fidelity.

But if your recorder input *still cannot* cope with this boosted mic level,
you WILL need to include a preamp lifting about 30dB instead of the xformer.
Idea! Have you got a surplus, personal cassette recorder, discarded because
of tape-mangling deck-damage, yet with a Mic in jack, preferably manual but
maybe auto Level control, and a Line out jack? Disable the motor current.
This may do it in the meantime.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:40:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o D%_d.1251$EN3.349@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Idea! Have you got a surplus, personal cassette recorder, discarded
because
> of tape-mangling deck-damage, yet with a Mic in jack, preferably manual
but
> maybe auto Level control, and a Line out jack? Disable the motor current.
> This may do it in the meantime.

Interesting idea, but too much gear to carry around, I think.

Cheers,

Charles
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote in message
news:Kd__d.35282$rB3.6588919@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> "peter" <peter@NOSPAMta.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1hhj9$ksv$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > Charles,
> > You could insert a step up transformer between the mic output and Edirol
> R-1
> > in.
> Several people have suggested that but curiously, when I asked about them
at
> no less than four supposedly professional audio stores in New York, Sam
Ash,
> Manny's, Two Lines, and Radio Shack, not a single person knew what I was
> talking about. I was a bit shocked.

Well, this mystery continues to deepen and totally frustrate me. The Pro
store par excellence in the New York metropolitan area, that everyone always
recommends for this stuff, B & H, has NO IDEA what a step up transformer is
and doesn't have them either! They've also saying they've never heard that
term! What is going on here?? This is really getting very weird.

Cheers,

Charles
March 20, 2005 7:26:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Charles,
Go to http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_in.html and take a look at the
mic transformers.
You'll have to put it in an enclosure with a couple of connectors (no ready
made gizmos that I know of) and you'll be good to go.

peter

"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote in message
news:gDg%d.33662$qn2.7199992@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Well, this mystery continues to deepen and totally frustrate me. The Pro
> store par excellence in the New York metropolitan area, that everyone
> always
> recommends for this stuff, B & H, has NO IDEA what a step up transformer
> is
> and doesn't have them either! They've also saying they've never heard
> that
> term! What is going on here?? This is really getting very weird.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:07:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"peter" <peter@NOSPAMta.com> wrote in message
news:D 1k87m$ns9$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Charles,
> Go to http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_in.html and take a look at
the
> mic transformers.
> You'll have to put it in an enclosure with a couple of connectors (no
ready
> made gizmos that I know of) and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not realy savvy at putting together those sorts of
things so I'm still in the market for something ready made.

I finally found someone who knew what I was talking about, and claimed that
a guy named Martin, who makes guitars, also specializes in ready-made
step-up transformers starting around $150. I'm going to try to explore that
now.

Cheers,

Charles
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Jim Gregory" <jim.greg@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:E2m%d.32952$3A6.39@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Plenty of probably Taiwanese step-up transformers, eg, in line 1/4" to
1/4"
> or inline XLR barrel to 1/4" here for about $12.
> Try Maplin for the latter
>
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12151&TabI...

Thanks. I'll ask around to see who might have them in my area.

Cheers,

Charles
!