sherpadog

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
most of the supposedly new cd writers today except yamaha has 2 mb buffer only. why is this? isn't this an important aspect to look into when buying cd writers? am buying one soon and have only these options.kindly help meout here people;

a.liteon 24x10x40
b.sony 24x10x40
c.asus 40x12x40
d.yamaha 20x10x40

thanks..

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yamaha released the 8mb buffer with its 16x drive to compensate for a lack of buffer under run protection .. it has remained although they now use some form of protection also .. it may speed up the caching process some but I doubt it is that beneficial anymore as the other drives with buffer underrun technology also perform well

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I agree, big buffers aren't really needed anymore when the buffer underrun technology works really well and computers are more powerful with faster harddrives. I would go with the lite-on or yamaha.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not too long ago I bought a TDK 40 12 48 with 48x rip and 40x cd-r burn. It only has a 2 meg buffer and it works perfect. It is waaaaayyyyy better then my old 8x Phillips that never worked above 4x. The 32x TDK is available for about half what I paid and is a much better value at around $80.00. Can't really say how good it is for sure cause I haven't had mine that long and it is a different model but I love mine.

Every time I fire up Nero it has 2 windows like Explorer but the left window is too small and I need to click and drag the seperator over to the right a little to make the left side bigger. Anyone know of a way to make the change the default?

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, they are just making drives junkier and cheaper. For instance, a 40X writer writes at 24x, while an 8x writer writes at 8x. Buffer underrun protection prevents bad disk at the cost of writing performance, so the larger the buffer, the better it should perform.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
With Lite-Ons SMART-BURN technology, disc integrity is checked BEFORE burning with a low intensity reflective laser so you won't have to worry about problems while burning.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: