BOSE speaker help needed please

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 20, 2005 3:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.
I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards Brian

More about : bose speaker needed

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:15:52 PM

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>
> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
> frequency range.
> There seems to be gaps at
> 20Hz to 46 Hz
> 202Hz to 280Hz and
> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

**Correct.

> I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
> frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
> I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
> Woofer is used.

**Correct. There isn't.

> I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
> player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
> this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
> sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
> woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
> from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
> Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
> to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.

**Sell the Bose and buy some proper equipment. You'll need to spend around
20% of the RRP of the Bose to get an equivalent sound quality.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

SNIPT

great description of the frequency response or lack thereof of a bose system

SNIPT

CHECK THIS OUT so you'll come up with the courage to sell or return the
plastic boxes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
March 20, 2005 3:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>
> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
> frequency range.
> There seems to be gaps at
> 20Hz to 46 Hz
> 202Hz to 280Hz and
> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

You seem quite a bit more intelligent than the typical Bose owner.
Ditch them. You deserve better.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:15:52 PM

Brian wrote:
> I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>
> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
> frequency range.
> There seems to be gaps at
> 20Hz to 46 Hz
> 202Hz to 280Hz and
> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

Correct. It's no better than most computer speakers. Not
surprizing considering the 2 inch speakers.

> I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
> frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.

It's a woofer. That's right - the woofers for the system are
put in a little box. A subwoofer won't do anything to fix this
as the fundamental problem is the cheap satellites. 2 inches is
a dreadful compromize. It's not a woofer, it's not a tweeter.

Unfortunately, your only recourse is to sell the system(they
seem to get a good price used, though), and get a proper
home stereo system. Or at least, a proper "home theatre in
a box" setup.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>
> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
> frequency range.
> There seems to be gaps at
> 20Hz to 46 Hz
> 202Hz to 280Hz and
> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.
>
> I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
> frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
> I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
> Woofer is used.
> I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
> player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
> this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
> sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
> woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
> from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
> Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
> to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.

First of all, don't panic. While Bose may not represent the pinnacle of
audio technology, it's certainly not nearly as bad as you're being led to
believe. A test of the Bose Accoustimass 5 system some years back did not
display these gaps so I'd be surprised if your system which has one more
cube pair did. You might try leaving your entire Accoustimass system
connected (center, front left and right) and hooking up your sub to the sub
out from your amp. If you have crossover control for your sub, you could set
it to cut off frequencies above about 50 herz where the Accoustimass system
picks up. You may want to play around with placement of your sub and the
Bose woofer to see if you can achieve something that sounds good to you. If
that simply doesn't work, then there is an active market for your Bose
system on eBay although that may be problematic for you due to location.
Alternatively, set up the Bose system with an inexpensive receiver in
another room where you watch TV or listen to FM, then build a new surround
system around your sub.

Since you already have a sub, you have quite a few avenues open to you.
Because you have a small room, you may want another satellite system - I'm
pleased with my Hsu Ventriloquist but then I also have an Hsu sub that
matches it well. An advantage of the Ventriloquist is that it is gives you
6.1 instead of 5.1. The Hsu allows you, if you want, to connect the center
rear (sixth speaker) so as to get pseudo 6.1 sound out of 5.1 material. Good
luck.

> Regards Brian
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:15:52 PM

Anyone notice the 4-way crosspost, including r.a."opinion" ?
March 20, 2005 5:41:26 PM

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
>> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
>> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>>
>> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
>> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
>> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
>> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
>> frequency range.
>> There seems to be gaps at
>> 20Hz to 46 Hz
>> 202Hz to 280Hz and
>> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.
>
>**Correct.
>

>> I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
>> frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
>> I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
>> Woofer is used.
>
>**Correct. There isn't.
>
>> I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
>> player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
>> this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
>> sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
>> woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
>> from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
>> Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
>> to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).
>>
>> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
>**Sell the Bose and buy some proper equipment. You'll need to spend around
>20% of the RRP of the Bose to get an equivalent sound quality.

Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
(surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:27 PM

Brian wrote:

> Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
> Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
> I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
> (surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
> The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
system. There are many others.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:27 PM

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>

>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
>>> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
>>> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>>>
>>> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
>>> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
>>> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
>>> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
>>> frequency range.
>>> There seems to be gaps at
>>> 20Hz to 46 Hz
>>> 202Hz to 280Hz and
>>> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.
>>
>>**Correct.
>>

>>> I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
>>> frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
>>> I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
>>> Woofer is used.
>>
>>**Correct. There isn't.
>>
>>> I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
>>> player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
>>> this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
>>> sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
>>> woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
>>> from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
>>> Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
>>> to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).
>>>
>>> Any advice would be most welcome.
>>
>>**Sell the Bose and buy some proper equipment. You'll need to spend around
>>20% of the RRP of the Bose to get an equivalent sound quality.
>
> Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
> Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
> I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
> (surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
> The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

**Since you're a Kiwi, I suggest you look towards some Kiwi manufactured
speakers. Some Aussie speakers are also likely to be good value for money
too. In the final analysis, however, you should trust your own ears. Some
Aussie brands worth considering:

Krix
VAF
Orpheus (My favourites)
Sonique
Legend

Not all of these are likely to be available, however.

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

B&W
KEF
JM Labs
ProAc
Spendor
Epos
Monitor Audio

Some Yank/Canadian speakers worth considering:

Paradigm
Definitive Technology
Energy
NHT
Theil
Infinity

Some Euro speakers worth considering:

Jamo
Canton
Dynaudio
MB Quart
Triangle
Sonus Faber (breathtakingly beautiful to look at)

Almost all the above companies manufacture nothing but quality products (you
will find some exceptions, though) throughout their ranges. Where possible,
however, you are likely to be saving money by buying Kiwi/Aussie products.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Brian wrote:

> Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
> Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
> I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
> (surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
> The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

It all depends upon your budget. You can get something equal sounding
but with better bass from Energy(Take 5.2 system), or by spending $1000
or more, sound that is equal to or better than a movie theater.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Trevor Wilson" emitted :

>Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

<snip>

>JM Labs

.... these guys are French.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:28 PM

Trevor Wilson wrote:

> Some Pommy speakers worth considering:
>
> B&W
> KEF
> JM Labs
> ProAc
> Spendor
> Epos
> Monitor Audio

You missed out Tannoy, or does Scottish not count as Pommy?
Or are they not worth considering?

--
Eiron.
Anonymous

Brian wrote:
> I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
> brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
> speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.
>
> I read in a article that the frequency range is:
> Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
> Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
> Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
> frequency range.
> There seems to be gaps at
> 20Hz to 46 Hz
> 202Hz to 280Hz and
> 13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

How did you do this measurement? If in a room that allows
reflections, the gaps could be destructive interrerence from
objects (like walls) in the room. In that case,
equalization is your enemy because in trying to compensate
one point you can drive other points to absurd levels.

The only way to clear a room of these modal problems is to
make it anechoic and most people don't seem to like listen
to reproduction in that situation.

If you don't have an anechoic room for measurement, I
suggest using the out of doors, in a clearing, on a calm
day, with the speakers on their backs on the ground pointing
up and the mic suspened a couple of meters above. Use a
flat measurement mic. Behringer makes one that is very
inexpensive and has been found to be quite good for such things.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:57:59 PM

"Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
> "Trevor Wilson" emitted :
>
>>Some Pommy speakers worth considering:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>JM Labs
>
> ... these guys are French.

**I know. I just did that to piss off the Poms/French.

Seriously, it was a typo. I had considered placing a single category for
Euro/Pommy speakers, but changed my mind later on. JM Labs got left behind.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> SNIPT
> How did you do this measurement? If in a room that allows reflections,
> the gaps could be destructive interrerence from objects (like walls) in

All due respect he is saying GAPS not lulls and it is bose we are
talking about here. Tests like those you speak of have been done by
professionals, since you missed it in the thread here is a link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

I don't want to put down anyone LIKES the bose sound. It's subjective
and if you want that atmospheric, loose, ambient, concert hall
reproduction type thing fine. Musical listening is about enjoyment and
if that floats your boat - excellent. BUT if we are talking about
frequency response accuracy,

PLEASE it's not the room OK
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:25:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ever been in an actual Bose store? I sat through their bullshit demo
and then asked if I could arrange a comparison of their system with a
legit system. Oh no. It took me about ten minutes to prove to the
salespeople themselves, that they had no idea of what the words they
were saying to me really meant. They went to talk to the manager, and
then I was promptly told that obviously I was there to "disrupt their
business" (no other customers were there) and would need to leave.

A couple of years later I ran into one of the employees there that
day. He had been fired shortly thereafter and told me that they openly
told their salespeople that "hardcore audio nerds" were trouble and
should be kicked out with vigor and that they were wasting their time
learning any technical knowledge of any product but Bose or any
electronics in general. "We don't sell sound", they were told, "we
sell convenience and simplicity. The nerds are just a bunch of people
with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.
Stick to exactly what we teach and you'll do okay. "
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:30:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Tell me Trevor, why does Australia and New Zealand manufacture so
little stuff for export? You'd think they could build some really cool
stuff but I just don't see any of it. A recent Stereophile article
lauds a superexpensive piano, but AFAIK goes on to say none are in
North America now. And their guitars are atrocious.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:59:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The subject line says it all, doesn't it? :-)
Help is needed all around: the company, the speakers,
and the victims er. customers.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:10:52 AM

Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

>Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
>Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
>system. There are many others.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
--scott
March 21, 2005 1:37:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
> >
> >Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
> >Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
> >system. There are many others.
>
> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
> better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
> --scott

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:47:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.

nice - meanwhile my interconnects cost more than the best bose system -
what a joke - but that's sales isn't it - these days watching the news i
feel that's what they've become too - just salespeople instead of reporters
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 4:48:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message...

> BUT if we are talking about frequency response accuracy,
>
> PLEASE it's not the room OK

Sure thing bubba Oz. When I clap my hands in the office, it's sounds
a lot different than when I clap my hands in the gymnasium, but I
suppose it's just the way strike them that makes the difference.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
> "Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message...
>

>>BUT if we are talking about frequency response accuracy,
>>
>>PLEASE it's not the room OK
>

> Sure thing bubba Oz. When I clap my hands in the office, it's sounds
> a lot different than when I clap my hands in the gymnasium, but I
> suppose it's just the way strike them that makes the difference.

Obviously you are a Bose Wave Radio owner and I hit a nerve, all
apologies. That's called reflection and absorption. The post said GAPS
again not lulls, GAPS. What part of that don't you comprehend?
Clapping in different spaces alters the sound you hear true but the bose
system in question alters the sound you hear by simply choosing not to
reproduce certain frequencies not just alter their amplitude.

Again for the blissfully uniformed I offer education:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

And again if you like your wave radio kudos to you but the post was
about GAPS in the reproduced audio spectrum not differences in the
reverb associated with different room sizes.

bubba Oz? And after all those years of study and money spent the best
your phd in acoustics can come up with is clap on clap off?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 4:48:15 AM

David Morgan \(MAMS\) <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:
>"Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message...
>
>> BUT if we are talking about frequency response accuracy,
>>
>> PLEASE it's not the room OK
>
>Sure thing bubba Oz. When I clap my hands in the office, it's sounds
>a lot different than when I clap my hands in the gymnasium, but I
>suppose it's just the way strike them that makes the difference.

No, honestly the numbers he describes sound about right for the anechoic
response of the Acoustimass system. Believe me, when you put them into
a real room, they get even worse.
--scott

March 21, 2005 6:07:00 AM

"Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message news:yrq%d.361$wN1.186@fe11.lga...
> David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
> > "Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message...
> >

> >>BUT if we are talking about frequency response accuracy,
> >>
> >>PLEASE it's not the room OK
> >

> > Sure thing bubba Oz. When I clap my hands in the office, it's sounds
> > a lot different than when I clap my hands in the gymnasium, but I
> > suppose it's just the way strike them that makes the difference.
> >
> Obviously you are a Bose Wave Radio owner and I hit a nerve, all
> apologies. That's called reflection and absorption. The post said GAPS
> again not lulls, GAPS. What part of that don't you comprehend?
> Clapping in different spaces alters the sound you hear true but the bose
> system in question alters the sound you hear by simply choosing not to
> reproduce certain frequencies not just alter their amplitude.
>
> Again for the blissfully uniformed I offer education:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
>
> And again if you like your wave radio kudos to you but the post was
> about GAPS in the reproduced audio spectrum not differences in the
> reverb associated with different room sizes.
>
> bubba Oz? And after all those years of study and money spent the best
> your phd in acoustics can come up with is clap on clap off?

Talk about striking a nerve.... ;-)

The bloke could easily be suffering from the null of standing waves in
his listening environment. Given that this has not been addressed at
all, I am surprised that you could so easily dismiss that possibility in
your haste to slam Bose. Wrong on the wave radio... sorry. I do
have some old, defunct, 501A Series IV cornerhorns that are long
out of service and molding away in the attic.

GAP is store where they sell jeans...

DM
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:11:45 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:37:15 -0500, Ozzy 2005
<ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote:

<yet another example of the importance of trimming headers>

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:11:46 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:37:15 -0500, Ozzy 2005
> <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote:
>
> <yet another example of the importance of trimming headers>

Sorry about that.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:20:29 AM

Ian S wrote:

> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...
>
>>Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
>>>Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
>>>system. There are many others.
>>
>>In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
>>better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
>>--scott
>

> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

Energy? Most of us would consider them to be about as budget
as you can go and create a decent setup. It's not like he
recommended a setup with $1500 bookshelf speakers.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:19:28 AM

"Ian S" <iws51remove@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 1t%d.292291$0u.280226@fed1read04
> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...

>> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
>> the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the
stratosphere?

A totally uncalled-for attack.

These aren't stratospheric brands - they all have well-engineered
offerings that fit in the middle-low end of mid-fi. Just because you
can't find them at Best Buy doesn't mean they are high end. ;-)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:19:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:19:28 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>>> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
>>> the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
>
>> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the
>stratosphere?
>
>A totally uncalled-for attack.

If you would only follow this guideline...
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:22:16 AM

"Eiron" <e1ron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> Some Pommy speakers worth considering:
>>
>> B&W
>> KEF
>> JM Labs
>> ProAc
>> Spendor
>> Epos
>> Monitor Audio
>
> You missed out Tannoy, or does Scottish not count as Pommy?
> Or are they not worth considering?

**I missed out dozens of decent brands. You may care to note my words:
"...SOME Pommy brands worth considering..." I did not make that list all
inclusive.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Ian S said:

> > In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
> > better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

There's always Arnii F. Krooger, who tells us that speakers by Quad,
Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Spendor, and many other brands are threats to our
religious security.

Notwithstanding, it is a fact that those companies make low-priced
speakers. If you think otherwise, then you must be very ignorant about the
consumer audio marketplace. Just like Krooger. ;-)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:37:06 AM

"George M. Middius" <Spam-B-Gone@resistance.org> wrote in message
> Ian S said:
>
>>> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
>>> the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
>
>> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the
stratosphere?

> There's always Arnii F. Krooger, who tells us that speakers by Quad,
> Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Spendor, and many other brands are threats
> our religious security.

This would be yet another Middius lie of 100's if not 1,000's, given
that I have written favorable items about Quad and Magnepan. My
less-than favorable comments about certain Martin-Logan speakers were
simply some of those personal opinions based on personal preferences
that Middius accuses me of hating.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:
> >
> >Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
> >Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
> >system. There are many others.
>
> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
> better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
> --scott

On my initial reading of this post, I understood the poster to be
disparaging the speakers mentioned by referring to them as
"bargain-basement" and concluded that it was just another in the long line
of snide unhelpful comments elicited by the original poster's request for
help regarding his Bose speakers. I see that I was very likely wrong in my
original impression and that Mr. Dorsey was indeed being helpful with his
suggestion - "bargain basement" in this case meaning "good value". I
therefore apologize to Mr Dorsey and retract my earlier comments directed to
him.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:40:49 AM

Ian S wrote:
> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...
>>Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

>>>Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
>>>Bose.

>>In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
>>better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

Seems that you can get some PSB bookshelf speakers for $349. That's
not exactly Wal*Mart level prices, but do keep one thing in mind: it's
still cheaper than your typical Bose satellite system!

- Logan
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:40:50 AM

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ian S wrote:
>> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...

>>> In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
>>> the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
>
>> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the
stratosphere?

> Seems that you can get some PSB bookshelf speakers for $349. That's
> not exactly Wal*Mart level prices, but do keep one thing in mind:
> it's still cheaper than your typical Bose satellite system!

The point is well-taken. The real problem with Bose home audio isn't
the quality (it would be good at some low price point), and there are
no problems with the price points (they would be OK if the quality
were commensurate). What's wrong with Bose is all about value.

The price/performance problem with Bose home speakers becomes apparent
when you compare them to similarly-priced offerings from PSB, Boston
Acoustics, Energy, Paradigm, NHT and etc.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:40:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:22:44 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Ian S wrote:
>>> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D 1ldvs$esr$1@panix2.panix.com...

>over

>>> Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the
>stratosphere?
>>
>> Seems that you can get some PSB bookshelf speakers for $349. That's
>> not exactly Wal*Mart level prices, but do keep one thing in mind:
>> it's still cheaper than your typical Bose satellite system!
>
>The point is well-taken. The real problem with Bose home audio isn't
>the quality (it would be good at some low price point), and there are
>no problems with the price points (they would be OK if the quality
>were commensurate). What's wrong with Bose is all about value.
>
>The price/performance problem with Bose home speakers becomes apparent
>when you compare them to similarly-priced offerings from PSB, Boston
>Acoustics, Energy, Paradigm, NHT and etc.

Now THIS is he type of commentary that we could use more of from Mr.
Krueger.

Well-done.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:27:58 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:59:56 -0800, Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>The subject line says it all, doesn't it? :-)
>Help is needed all around: the company, the speakers,
>and the victims er. customers.

Step 1: learn how to use a web browser
Step 2: learn how to go to a search site such as google and search for
"bose opinions"
March 21, 2005 12:41:45 PM

> [...]

>Bose woofer to see if you can achieve something that sounds good to you. If
>that simply doesn't work, then there is an active market for your Bose
>system on eBay although that may be problematic for you due to location.
>Alternatively, set up the Bose system with an inexpensive receiver in
>another room where you watch TV or listen to FM, then build a new surround
>system around your sub.
>
>Since you already have a sub, you have quite a few avenues open to you.
>Because you have a small room, you may want another satellite system - I'm
>pleased with my Hsu Ventriloquist but then I also have an Hsu sub that
>matches it well. An advantage of the Ventriloquist is that it is gives you
>6.1 instead of 5.1. The Hsu allows you, if you want, to connect the center
>rear (sixth speaker) so as to get pseudo 6.1 sound out of 5.1 material. Good

Thanks Ian your advice.
Its good to have an alternate reply for the BOSE system when there are
many against BOSE speakers.
One problem I'll have is getting the sub woofer to work with the BOSE
speakers as my amplifier can either have low frequency sound going to
the sub woofer output or mix the low frequency with the other channels
and have the BOSE bass model filter off the bass.
The sub woofer has a built in filter which will allow me to connect
the higher frequency speakers to the sub woofer. I'm hoping to connect
my Kef C25 speakers to the sub woofer and let the sub woofer's filter
do it's job. I have an A,B speaker switch on the amplifier so I'll be
able to switch between BOSE and Kef speakers.

Regards Brian
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:41:46 PM

> [...]
> >pleased with my Hsu Ventriloquist but then I also have an Hsu sub that
> >matches it well. An advantage of the Ventriloquist is that it is gives
you
> >6.1 instead of 5.1. The Hsu allows you, if you want, to connect the
center
> >rear (sixth speaker) so as to get pseudo 6.1 sound out of 5.1 material.
Good
> >luck.
> >
> >> Regards Brian
> >
> Thanks Ian your advice.
> Its good to have an alternate reply for the BOSE system when there are
> many against BOSE speakers.
> One problem I'll have is getting the sub woofer to work with the BOSE
> speakers as my amplifier can either have low frequency sound going to
> the sub woofer output or mix the low frequency with the other channels
> and have the BOSE bass model filter off the bass.

I would think you'd be best to have as much as possible of the low frequency
sound go directly to your sub woofer. From what you say about your DVD
player, that will be the frequencies below 120 Hz and your sub will be fine
with that. So frequencies above 120 Hz will be going to the other speakers:
front left and right, center and surrounds. The Accoustimass 7 system will
then simply be the front and center speakers. That means the Bose bass
module won't be getting anything below 120 Hz, but I don't think that really
matters.

> The sub woofer has a built in filter which will allow me to connect
> the higher frequency speakers to the sub woofer. I'm hoping to connect
> my Kef C25 speakers to the sub woofer and let the sub woofer's filter
> do it's job. I have an A,B speaker switch on the amplifier so I'll be
> able to switch between BOSE and Kef speakers.
>
> Regards Brian

I'm not sure I understand where the Kef speakers are coming in. If you are
creating a parallel system to the Bose where both setups use the same sub, I
can't really say how that would work. Whatever you do, my understanding is
that you should avoid splitting up the Bose system to run its individual
components separately. Keep it together as a package (front left, right and
center) or eliminate it entirely from your system.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:26:50 PM

Joseph Oberlander <josephoberlander@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Well, their larger speakers are a different thing. Good sound,
>but at a terrible price-point. The 801s remind me of old AR
>or JBL speakers from the late 70's. They should be priced in
>the $200-$300 a pair range.

The thing about the 801s is that they are basically they only PA speakers
in their class. They have very wide dispersion and none of the top end
"honk" of a horn and they are hard to damage, which actually makes them
useful. They are fearfully expensive for what they are, though. But I am
very surprised that nobody else has really tried to make a competing product
because I think it would be possible to make something similar but much
better for a lot less.
--scott
March 21, 2005 3:41:25 PM

>> with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.
>
> nice - meanwhile my interconnects cost more than the best bose system -

Hee hee. Talk about a gullible idiot chump!

> what a joke - but that's sales isn't it - these days watching the news i
> feel that's what they've become too - just salespeople instead of
> reporters
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:41:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> Hee hee. Talk about a gullible idiot chump!

I got a lot of components and am using home brew pbj. Bought several
yards years back and gold plated plugs all at reasonable prices and
soldered them myself with silver solder. retail they are about $50+
each pair. I'm no gic when it comes to audio and value BUT I do submit
that anyone buys bose (not for the sound) but on brand name recognition
is. I have listened with the standard interconnects that come with tape
decks and or are made by radio shack and they do break up causing
distortion. SO if that is what you are using I suggest you go to
audiogon.com and pick up a pair of pbj for yourself and use them from
your cd player to your pre and then from your pre to your power amp -
you will hear a difference in the clarity especially during peaks. At
least this was my experience. You're just trolling my man.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:41:27 PM

Ozzy 2005 wrote:

> I have listened with the standard interconnects that come with tape
> decks and or are made by radio shack and they do break up causing
> distortion.

They break up causing distortion? What type of distortion would this be?
And what do you mean by "break up"?
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:41:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> They break up causing distortion? What type of distortion would this be?
> And what do you mean by "break up"?
I don't have a much better description, with the pbj the sound is clear
with the no frills brands on peak material I get rattling in the tweeters.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:17:46 PM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
news:o Tq%d.10855$GI6.9327@trnddc05...

> "Ozzy 2005" <ozzy2005@spamlovesyou.com> wrote in message
>> David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

>> > Sure thing bubba Oz. When I clap my hands in the office, it's sounds
>> > a lot different than when I clap my hands in the gymnasium, but I
>> > suppose it's just the way strike them that makes the difference.
>> >
>> Obviously you are a Bose Wave Radio owner and I hit a nerve, all
>> apologies. That's called reflection and absorption. The post said GAPS
>> again not lulls, GAPS. What part of that don't you comprehend?
>> Clapping in different spaces alters the sound you hear true but the bose
>> system in question alters the sound you hear by simply choosing not to
>> reproduce certain frequencies not just alter their amplitude.
>>
>> Again for the blissfully uniformed I offer education:
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
>>
>> And again if you like your wave radio kudos to you but the post was
>> about GAPS in the reproduced audio spectrum not differences in the
>> reverb associated with different room sizes.
>>
>> bubba Oz? And after all those years of study and money spent the best
>> your phd in acoustics can come up with is clap on clap off?
>

> Talk about striking a nerve.... ;-)
>
> The bloke could easily be suffering from the null of standing waves in
> his listening environment.

**I very much doubt that.

Given that this has not been addressed at
> all,

**Incorrect. Here are the salient words from the OP:

"I read in a article that the frequency range is:"

The foregoing suggests that the test was independently performed
(presumably) by a person who knew what they were doing. Given that the
response curves pretty much match what Bose claim (in their service data),
that suggests that the testing was performed correctly.

I am surprised that you could so easily dismiss that possibility in
> your haste to slam Bose.

**What possibility was that? That a professional managed to incorrectly
measure the frequency response? Sure, it's possible, but given the results
match Bose's figures, I doubt it.

Wrong on the wave radio... sorry. I do
> have some old, defunct, 501A Series IV cornerhorns that are long
> out of service and molding away in the attic.

**Bose corner horns? Sounds like you have a pretty unique speaker. Bose
don't (nor have they ever) built horns. Klipsch build corner horns.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

SNIP

finally some LOGICAL help

thanks

it's just about science and measurements just read the faq

but I will add this - emotional struck a nerve - to the degree i hate
any type of propaganda and bs and the marketing job that bose does does
hit a nerve with me because of the cult like misinformed following that
it produces - but i have done my best to stay calm here and on point to
the original post - i'm no expert but the faq is detailed and
informative and i think that even an ardent bose lover could learn
something from it - even the equipment i have i'm always trying to
improve on it and my understanding of it - then again some people just
want to turn on their wave radio and they enjoy it - that's great - but
you can't post in ..tech or .pro and expect bose sympathy because in
terms of accurate reproduction of a musical signal it just doesn't
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:17:47 PM

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
> **What possibility was that? That a professional managed to incorrectly
> measure the frequency response? Sure, it's possible, but given the results
> match Bose's figures, I doubt it.

"Bose's figures"? What figures do you have, and how
did you get them from Bose?

> Wrong on the wave radio... sorry. I do
>> have some old, defunct, 501A Series IV cornerhorns that are long
>> out of service and molding away in the attic.
>
> **Bose corner horns? Sounds like you have a pretty unique speaker. Bose
> don't (nor have they ever) built horns. Klipsch build corner horns.
>

> --
> Trevor Wilson
> www.rageaudio.com.au

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:17:47 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:17:46 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
<trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:

<yet another example of the importance of trimming groups>

Chris Hornbeck
!