MN-700 Low Upload Speed "Feature"

Last response: in Networking
April 20, 2004 9:02:28 PM

After many calls with MS support on my MN-700, I got today the final
detemination. I've been having terrible upload speeds - lucky to get 80
on a DSL account rated for 256 upload. Actually get 200-210 with the DSL
modem connected directly and no MN-700. Microsoft now says that the low
upload speed is a feature! It relates to the firewall and NAT and means
that "nobody can hack my computer" because of it. No possibly of a
firmware update to resolve it because, after all, it is a feature. The
connection is PPPoE.

So now I need to get something else. I will get my money back on the MN-
700. Anyone please have advice on what to get as a replacement? I seem
to be stuck with the MN-720 and have no other available DSL provider
here (northwest montana) to get around the PPPoE issues.

Thanks,

Mike
April 21, 2004 4:55:30 PM

Sounds like you spoke to the same support genius that I
had. I had the same problems and returned my MN 700 and
bought the Linksys Wireless G. Works like a charm with my
MN720 Wireless card.

Good Luck.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 6:34:40 PM

In article <25e801c427da$99cded60$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Sounds like you spoke to the same support genius that I
> had. I had the same problems and returned my MN 700 and
> bought the Linksys Wireless G. Works like a charm with my
> MN720 Wireless card.
>
> Good Luck.

Thanks for the recommendation. I returned the MN-700, got a Linksys
Wireless G, set it up with no problem, including connecting with the MN-
720 and am getting the up and down speed I should. PPPoE seems to be no
problem for THIS router.

Mike
!