So basicaly as the title states I have an internet connection but web pages will not load.I just brought my computer back home from college and installed an xavb1004 and it is working as i have tried other devices on it so I do not believe it is that. Also I have tried just about everything getting this to work including but not limited to winsock changing all the internet settings making sure no boxes are checked, changing my dns server disabling firewall and all the basic stuff. Odd thing is I can google search for things but i can't click the links that come up. I can also get to youtube heh. nothing else loads it just gets stuck on waiting for 'webste.com' thank you !
Have you ever used your hosts file for site blocking (if you don't know what I mean then it is not an issue)?
Can you post your output from ipconfig (in the command prompt box) with your MAC addresses deleted?
You should not need to disable your firewall, and should use a dynamic address assigned by the router to start out, with your windows adapter configured to automatically obtain an IP and DNS server addresses.
Usually when you have an internet connection (on the router) and web pages don't load, it's a DNS issue. The fact that you can get youtube but nothing else makes it sound more so. You can also check your internet settings for any proxy servers setup there, if so just remove them from the settings. You can also try using Google's DNS 184.108.40.206 which should work.
its the only computer in the house not to work fr some odd reason, i even tried plugging it directly into the modem and still didn't work. I also tried the google DNS server which didn't help i also spent like 3 good hours with a technician trying all sorts of crazy things. here is the thread i was in if you want a look over. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1611733 basically what i have planned now is 1. i bought a wireless pci card to test it out 2. i am going to reformat completely and 3. i am switching isp next week so between those three things i feel like it should be fixed
If it is a problem with your pc then the 3 steps you planned will fix it.
One question though, didn't your pc connect when you were in college?
If it did then the problem is likely comming from your router. A couple things you could try are to:
1. Reset your router to factory defaults and re-enter your username and password to reconnect it.
2. Call up your ISP and make them check your line, tell them whats happening and see if the problem is on their side.
I think that if it were a virus or something like that, you would als have other signs of it on your system.
see the thing is, this happened when i first built it, and sadly i cannot remember how i fixed it. that being said when i switch to comcast later this week im going to hope comcast can help me out. and i have tried plugging into the modem directly and the problem persists.
In your router there is usually an MTU size on the beginning on the main WAN configuration page, but you will have to check your specific router manual.
For making a change in Windows 7, although it will initially appear complicated, it really is not if you follow the step by step carefully and use 1492 as the size in step 17: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159
Now if you switch to an ISP that doesn't use PPPoE you don't have to do all of this since they can handle 1500 size blocks, and it is only some DSL ISP providers where this is an issue.
If there is a "Connection Wizard" function on the router, that should autodetect all the settings directly from your ISP. It will also set the MTU to the correct setting if you cant find the proper setting yourself.