Fan always working? Is it suposed to belike this?

jpcl

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I finally bought a laptop, sold under the name "Airis Orion Ultralight", wich is made by a company called uniwill.
This features a p4m processor.

Since I startup the laptop, the fan starts and keeps on running at the same throttle, no matter what I do, till I shut down the computer. The power settings have made no difference whatsoever, not even "presentation mode" did any change to the fan speed.
(I once tried an Asus L3S, that would stop the fan as soon as one selected the presentation mode)
I setted the bios for PowerStep battery mode, to make sure the processor runned slower and therefore less heat would be produced.
I see no option where I can change the fan settings.

Is it normal that the fan starts and keeps at the same speed forever? Shouldn't is stop, or at least slow down, and run only when doing heavy processing? Its a p4m and even when WinXp pro is at standby mode, it keeps at the same speed!

--
Knowledge is our weapon

jpcl

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
Answering myself (I've got a reply from the manufacturer):

Yes, this is the correct behaviour for this laptop.
It happens that in order to spread off the heat and meet EMI specification, this laptop has two fans, one of wich is constantly running.

Anyway, I sill believe there are other laptops that only have one fan that actually stops when the computer is idling..

Thanks to all that read this post
Joao Clemente

--
Knowledge is our weapon