Home network setup

kgn742003

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Hi all,
I'm looking to get some input on setting up my network in a new house. I am going to hardwire it with CAT 6 and am hoping to have a gigabit system.

I plan on having a dsl modem wired directly to my main router (currently a Dlink DIR 815) wired to an 8 port gigabit switch. From there I am going to run a CAT 6 line to another 8 port gigabit switch for my TV, Blu Ray, cable box and network attached storage. I also want to run a CAT 6 to my desktop computer with wireless serving the other computers in the house.

Does anyone see any problems with this setup or a better way to do it. I'm also looking for fairly cheap, but bullet proof equipment I lose connection on the DIR 815 at least every other day. I think it's mostly due to heat build up. It is currently housed with another modem and a power conditioner.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Looks good!
Just one word of advice, connect all devices to the switches and not the router, the switches will provide better throughput.
As for the disconnections, I don't think it is the heat causing them. Home use routers are far more resiliant than most think.

TRENDING THREADS