Two routers with the same SSID

Stewrt

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
All,

I have a nicer Netgear WNDR 3700, (well it was nice till 6 weeks after the warranty), the 2.4 Ghz radio in it just crapped out. It works within 3-4 feet is all. I have a television, a WDTV LIVE box, a Squeezebox, a Mac laptop, and my wifes older Windows laptop on the network. So, when I lost the 2.4Ghz radio, my wifes laptop, my WDTV Live, and my Squeezebox all were out (no 5Ghz radios in them). Recently I found a deal on a Netgear WNDR 2000 router.. ~$25. So my plan was to run a cable from a gigabit port on the 3700 to the WAN port on the 2000, setup a new SSID and the security and go with it that way. Issues with this theory are that my Squeezebox music server software that I control through a laptop normally connected to the 5Ghz router has to be connected to the 2000 (G channel). Additionally streaming photos from the same laptop to the WDTV is a real bear. I'm connected to the wireless 5GHZ and trying to send data to the 2.4Ghz connected device.

Is there any way to configure these two routers to work more seamless? Give them the same SSID? Have computers and devices connect to their respective 2.4 or 5Ghz channels with one SSID and be able to move media over them easily?

Thanks, If I confused anyone just ask and I can further explain any confusion.

Any assistance would be much appriciated.

Stuart

RealBeast

Titan
The best way to set up seamless wireless is to use the same SSID, the same security passphrase, give the AP a network address that is either static outside the DHCP assignment range or reserved dynamic (and turn off the DHCP in the AP device if it has the capability for DHCP), and use a different set of radio channels.