Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8 for a new build.

Last response: in Windows 8
February 10, 2013 4:02:09 PM

I have read someplace that there are 2 way to purchase windows 8. One way comes with Microsoft suppport and the other does not.
If I do not get microsoft support I wont be able to update windows 8 at least this is what I think. I dont mind going to other sites for updates individualy but
want to get ms updates for bugs, fixes and security. could someone help explain this to me.

More about : windows build

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 10, 2013 4:40:26 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... < System builders license = limited support and all windows software updates

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/cat/categor... < Full Support and all windows software updates

Both can now be transferred to a new machine if it dies or is no longer in use

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
February 10, 2013 5:05:28 PM

tomvtx1300c said:

If I do not get microsoft support I wont be able to update windows 8 at least this is what I think. I dont mind going to other sites for updates individualy but
want to get ms updates for bugs, fixes and security. could someone help explain this to me.

As SR-71 points out, the OEM version provides "limited support".

This does NOT mean that you won't be able to get bug-fixes, security updates and the like for a properly licensed copy of Windows 8, OEM or otherwise.

It DOES mean that Microsoft does not want to hear from you should you happen to encounter a configuration issue. They expect you to go to the people/company that you purchased your OEM box from for any support of that type. So, if you purchased a copy of the OEM software from Newegg, Amazon, etc... then YOU are the person you go to for support as YOU are the OEM builder. If you aren't comfortable with that scenario, then you would probably be more at ease purchasing the "non-OEM" version of Windows 8.
Score
Related resources
February 10, 2013 5:51:10 PM

when I go to the ms link I get 2 choices for windows 8 pro

one choice is
To install Windows 8 Pro upgrade, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

the other choice I see is
If you would like to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, click here.
the other choice is

unless I some how made a mistake
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 10, 2013 10:47:35 PM

That's still an upgrade^ he wants full for a new build which is OEM.
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 10, 2013 10:47:35 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 10, 2013 10:47:44 PM

This topic has been reopen by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 10, 2013 10:49:15 PM

Buy the OEM 64 bit full , it's the only full option for a new build.
Score
February 10, 2013 11:13:42 PM

thank you
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 7:23:42 PM

Your welcome.
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 7:23:50 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 7:46:29 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
Score
!