Sign in with
Your question

Hp officejet 8600 all in one wireless printer wont connect to my laptop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 8, 2012 1:15:39 AM

Hello,
I have an all in one hp officejet 8600 plus and i cant get it to connect to my laptop. Operating system is windows 7. It's connected to the network, laptop connected to network, but printer isn't connecting to laptop. This function is handy so i can sent scans to an email or folder on my computer but it wont connect. I keep getting an error, unable to connect with printer over network. I've been on the phone with hp for 7 hours so far in 2 days and they still don't have an answer!!! I called dell and they said its a software issue and need to pay $90 for them to fix it, Told them no way. Can someone please help
December 19, 2012 8:35:37 PM

multiple1223 said:
Hello,
I have an all in one hp officejet 8600 plus and i cant get it to connect to my laptop. Operating system is windows 7. It's connected to the network, laptop connected to network, but printer isn't connecting to laptop. This function is handy so i can sent scans to an email or folder on my computer but it wont connect. I keep getting an error, unable to connect with printer over network. I've been on the phone with hp for 7 hours so far in 2 days and they still don't have an answer!!! I called dell and they said its a software issue and need to pay $90 for them to fix it, Told them no way. Can someone please help

Did you get this to work? I am facing the same issue. My HP 8600 Pro Plus was able to scan to a network folder and then suddenly stopped working a week ago. I spent hours with HP but they could not solve.
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2013 4:44:21 AM

multiple1223 said:
Hello,

I had that exact same problem with the HP 8600 series. After scouring the internet for solutions and not finding any, I managed to figure out what the problem was by myself.

HP usually has a hidden service menu that their employees can access to make technical adjustments to certain printers. It is in this menu that one can usually adjust the hardware default sleep setting which causes the printer to "lose" it's wireless signal. Logically speaking it should wake up if the computer in question tries to communicate with it, but for some strange reason it doesn't.

The problem with the HP 8600 is that the sleep setting has been entirely removed from the menu, and the only alternative is setting the "ECO" setting on the printer, which only gives you 3 measly options; 5,10,15 minutes, none of the ofcourse allow you to turn off the sleep function.

The only workaround that has so far worked 100% of the time is creating a script that runs in the background of your computer. This script "pings" the printer, forcing it to stay awake and never go to sleep.

Drop me a mail at "mailchrisvv@gmail.com" along with a small donation of 5$ for my time and I will send you the instructions, or if you prefer the program that runs the script in the background that has already been compiled.
m
l
February 24, 2013 12:33:47 AM

atandon said:
Did you get this to work? I am facing the same issue. My HP 8600 Pro Plus was able to scan to a network folder and then suddenly stopped working a week ago. I spent hours with HP but they could not solve.

I just bought the HP8600 and could not get it to connect either---I also have Windows 7. After quite a few hours delay, I decided I was going to remove the previous printers I had installed and I shut off the new printer and then turned it back on and then reran my disk. Make sure on the print page that you have it set to print to your 8600 printer. Mine was not so I had to go in under "change" and change it to the correct and now only printer. My printer is now working.
Don't know if this will work for you but being these types of problems are so annoying, I just thought I would share with you. Best of Luck!
m
l
March 12, 2013 2:04:03 AM

multiple1223 said:
Hello,

Hi,

HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer for windows 8 driver download here.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Download Link.

Thanks. Hope this help..
m
l
September 24, 2013 9:05:51 AM

Chrisvv said:
multiple1223 said:
Hello,

I had that exact same problem with the HP 8600 series. After scouring the internet for solutions and not finding any, I managed to figure out what the problem was by myself.

HP usually has a hidden service menu that their employees can access to make technical adjustments to certain printers. It is in this menu that one can usually adjust the hardware default sleep setting which causes the printer to "lose" it's wireless signal. Logically speaking it should wake up if the computer in question tries to communicate with it, but for some strange reason it doesn't.

The problem with the HP 8600 is that the sleep setting has been entirely removed from the menu, and the only alternative is setting the "ECO" setting on the printer, which only gives you 3 measly options; 5,10,15 minutes, none of the ofcourse allow you to turn off the sleep function.

The only workaround that has so far worked 100% of the time is creating a script that runs in the background of your computer. This script "pings" the printer, forcing it to stay awake and never go to sleep.

Drop me a mail at "mailchrisvv@gmail.com" along with a small donation of 5$ for my time and I will send you the instructions, or if you prefer the program that runs the script in the background that has already been compiled.

We're having the same issue; printer is directly connected to the network router; Windows 7 Premium 64bit controls hub; what is weird is that my Mac can always print; yet the Win 7 can't. It keeps losing the connection if we do not regularly use the printer. Next test will be hooking it directly to my Vista machine to see if that stops it.
My opinion is it's a Windows 7 issue

EDIT - it originally was hooked to a Vista puter with no issues; totally forgot about that. Issues started when we replaced that Vista puter with Windows 7 Premium 64!
m
l
September 24, 2013 2:28:22 PM

Also; check your network name; make sure it did not default back to WORKGROUP like hubs did at some point
m
l
March 23, 2014 5:35:30 PM

Chrisvv said:
8238344,1,741927 said:

said:

Trey tacky, man. Trey tacky. :heink: :pfff: 
m
l
less than a minute ago

I also had the same problem and found a very simple fix. You need to do a hard reset of the printer. Get the 8600 running and connected. Then, without turning off the power on the printer, unplug the power cord. Wait 5 minutes. Plug in the printer again and ou should never lose the connection again.
m
l
!