Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

64 or 32 bit for gaming ?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 7, 2012 8:42:17 PM

should i use a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate for gaming ?

More about : bit gaming

April 7, 2012 8:50:00 PM

I would say 64 bit
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 8:50:49 PM

Why would you even consider using 32bit software??

Cpu's have been 64 bit for like 12years.......
Related resources
April 7, 2012 8:57:13 PM

geekapproved said:
Why would you even consider using 32bit software??

Cpu's have been 64 bit for like 12years.......


But most game have been 32b since 2011. But anyway their is no reason to not get the 64bit version as far as gaming goes.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 8:57:19 PM

64!

say no more! :) 
April 7, 2012 8:59:41 PM

If you want the BEST experience, Windows 7 64bit is your best option...
April 7, 2012 9:01:33 PM

divJ said:
should i use a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate for gaming ?


64 bit Windows so you can use 8gb of ram or more. 32 bit won't recognize more than 4gb of ram. In some games the extra ram is helpful and for general multitasking also.
April 7, 2012 9:04:33 PM

64-bit. You will have access to more than the 4GB memory limitation. I really don't game that much anymore (really because there aren't many games that catches my eye nowadays, just a couple every year, I also have a Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and a Wii) but I would imagine the newer games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim would be pushing the 4GB limit, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the extra memory.
April 7, 2012 9:07:06 PM

64 bit hands down
April 7, 2012 9:07:21 PM

chase3567 said:
64 bit Windows so you can use 8gb of ram or more. 32 bit won't recognize more than 4gb of ram. In some games the extra ram is helpful and for general multitasking also.


32bit programmes still cant use more then 2gb of ram no mather of your OS version (exept windows 32 bit, can take 3.3Gb if I'm right counting the programmes your running with it), So 32bit version would be enough to play many games at best quality but well, since the 64b windows sells for the same price as the 32b I don't see any reason to go 32 bit.

Just downhload the 86x version of everything when their is no 64 bit version available.
April 7, 2012 9:55:13 PM

As vernur says, many games are still limited to 2GB for their actual process. This limit can be removed however (there are plenty of guides out there to fix it for skyrim, to take one) and it is likely games will demand more moving forward.
Also, programs other than games have been growing in a rediculous fashion, skype is not afraid to claim 100MB of ram or more at times, browsers are even hungrier. Then there is drivers for graphics, sound, antivirus etc. So unless you want to close all your programs before launching a game, you will need more than 3GB ram.
And you will be limited to about 3GB with a 32bit operating system, the system might be able to allocate 4GB, but that is including RAM on your graphics card and other things. Even mid-range graphics cards are starting to go above 1GB RAM, and I am sure you can see where that will leave you.
EDIT: And as others have said, you can run as good as all 32bit programs in 64bit, except drivers. So you might wish to look out if you have some old macro-keyboard or other peripheral which never got a 64bit driver.
April 7, 2012 9:56:32 PM

venur said:
32bit programmes still cant use more then 2gb of ram no mather of your OS version (exept windows 32 bit, can take 3.3Gb if I'm right counting the programmes your running with it), So 32bit version would be enough to play many games at best quality but well, since the 64b windows sells for the same price as the 32b I don't see any reason to go 32 bit.

Just downhload the 86x version of everything when their is no 64 bit version available.


Yes but that RAM limit of 4GB in a 32bit OS is for "all" RAM including Video RAM. With high end GPUs coming with 2-3GB of VRAM that is not really leaving much for anything else now is it?
April 7, 2012 10:13:29 PM

PMentior said:
Yes but that RAM limit of 4GB in a 32bit OS is for "all" RAM including Video RAM. With high end GPUs coming with 2-3GB of VRAM that is not really leaving much for anything else now is it?


As far as gaming goes with a 32bit game the 32bit OS should be more then enough (what else are you runing beside maybe your anti virus,a few web pages and maybe mp3 are you running while playing ?).

With my 32bit OS the only time had ram problem while playing a 32bit was everquest 2 and its only because the game allow you to use over 2g of ram (but the game still crash since its a 32bit programme). And well I could solve my ram problems with that game by using the low contrast thems for windows 7.

But well I just wanted to clear things up because in reality, just go for the 64bit version. Same price and no problems.

Game using 2G of Vram your talking about 64bit games in eyefinity set-up (or a few poorly coded 64 bit games on a 30" high resolution monitor).
April 7, 2012 10:42:07 PM

venur said:
As far as gaming goes with a 32bit game the 32bit OS should be more then enough (what else are you runing beside maybe your anti virus,a few web pages and maybe mp3 are you running while playing ?).

With my 32bit OS the only time had ram problem while playing a 32bit was everquest 2 and its only because the game allow you to use over 2g of ram (but the game still crash since its a 32bit programme). And well I could solve my ram problems with that game by using the low contrast thems for windows 7.

But well I just wanted to clear things up because in reality, just go for the 64bit version. Same price and no problems.

Game using 2G of Vram your talking about 64bit games in eyefinity set-up (or a few poorly coded 64 bit games on a 30" high resolution monitor).

Actually BF3 is using 1.5 vram off my video cards in sli with one monitor so you don't have to have eyefinity for more vram to be used. Monitor is only 23inchs also. Both of my video cards are 2gb ram apiece.
April 7, 2012 10:59:20 PM

whats x86 ?
April 7, 2012 11:01:16 PM

divJ said:
whats x86 ?

32 Bit system
April 7, 2012 11:06:05 PM

so why x86 ?
April 7, 2012 11:09:34 PM

i had win 7 ultimate 64 but then the program files folder was named program files x86 .... n i m sure i had 64 bit.... so whos wrong u or me?
April 7, 2012 11:23:15 PM

divJ said:
i had win 7 ultimate 64 but then the program files folder was named program files x86 .... n i m sure i had 64 bit.... so whos wrong u or me?

in a Windows 7 64bit system, there's two folder, one name x86 BECAUSE there's 32-Bit software that's not working with 64-Bit so it's separated but also work as software but used in different way than 64 bit... the one that just said "Program Files" if your 64-Bit software... 64-Bit software tends to do better than 32-Bit in a 64 bit OS.. For example, go find and install WinRAR 32 Bit and it said to get 64-Bit WinRAR for better use...not sure if it say that but it recommend you to get 64 bit for your 64 bit OS
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 11:26:40 PM

divJ said:
i had win 7 ultimate 64 but then the program files folder was named program files x86 .... n i m sure i had 64 bit.... so whos wrong u or me?


32bit programs get installed there in the x86 programs folder. if you look closely there‚Äôs another programs folder natively for 64bit programs :) 
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
April 7, 2012 11:44:54 PM

"x86" is the name of the CPU architecture. It has NOTHING to do with 32-bit or 64-bit. Unfortunately many people, even Microsoft say "x86" instead of "x32":

The correct terminology is something like this:
"x86_32" (x86 architecture CPU that is 32-bit)
"x86_64" (x86 architecture CPU that is 64-bit)

All desktop CPU's support 64-bit now. However, only 64-bit Windows/Linux support 64-bit addressing.

*Why 64-bit addressing?
32-bit addressing supports a TOTAL of 4GB of addressing. This includes:
- System RAM
- Video RAM
- other minor components

So let's say you get an HD7970 that has 3GB of Video RAM. That leaves you with 1GB for the REST of your system, including System RAM!!

So if you had 32-bit Windows and an HD7970 3GB, you might only have 512MB of System Memory available, regardless of how much you have physically installed.

So 64-bit Windows is absolutely important in gaming.

(the ONLY drawback is lack of drivers for older products like scanners and printers where the company didn't update to 64-bit compatible drivers so you'd buy new hardware)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2012 12:10:49 AM

^ and i bet that was because of the WEB CAM!
April 8, 2012 1:13:50 AM

x86 started back when intel made the i386 processor and that architecture has stayed with us...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80386

win 64bit will have x86 program folder to support 32bit programs

so 64bit or 32bit? depends on if your planning to use more than 4GB ram...
64bit for "4GB or more" and 32bit for "4GB of ram or less"...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

most people will say 64bit because most people now days have more than 4GB of ram installed.

If i have 32bit and 4GB ram why does it only show 3.x +/- .5 ram... because MMIO
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

hopes this helps
April 8, 2012 1:21:56 AM

as for gaming... with win 64bit and 32bit comparison with only 4GB ram in each system... you will not notice difference...

now if you are editing video or something and have 64bit with 8GB vs 32bit with 4GB you will then notice the difference.
April 8, 2012 1:26:24 AM

There seems to be a lot of argument over what uses 64 bit vs 32 bit. Since the base question was "for gaming" , you want to go the 64 bit route. Even if most games don't require it, do you want a system that doesn't play everything ? For example, Crysis 2 with HD textures is only available with a 64 bit OS. You can play the game with xbox graphics on your 32 bit PC, but then why spend money on a gaming machine in the first place ? So, 32 bit if you want to be able to play ALMOST all PC games, or 64 bit if you want to be able to play ALL of them.
April 8, 2012 1:48:25 AM

Use a 64-bit OS so you can utilize more than 4GB of RAM.

Although, a 64-bit processor is only as good as the code it's running on. If you ask me though, it depends on the game. The majority of software today is not written to take full advantage of 64-bit addressing, hopefully that will change in the future, but by then we may be talking about 128-bit or 256-bit OS's.
April 8, 2012 7:08:12 AM

so if program files x86 is for 32 bit ... then most of the games r in that folder.... but as
32 bit cant read more than 4 gb of ram then i ll take a 64 bit.... thank you all very much
!