Need a MP3 Ripper That Can Enter The Names of the Songs Fo..

Last response: in Home Audio
March 28, 2005 1:29:10 PM

I am looking for a MP3 ripper that can automatically find the names of
the songs that it is ripping. Currently, all I can see is Track# 1,
Track #2... I will have to manually enter the song names. This is
especially difficult if the song names are in foreign language such as
Chinese or Japanese; I will have to translate it into funny English
names -- a lot of effort and the result is not good. What's the best
MP3 ripper that can deal with this issue?

My friend has a Apple laptop that runs iTune and I can see that it can
automatically find the song names for 99% of the song English or
non-English. Can I find a similar product for PC platform?

How do they find the song name anyway? Does the song name already
encoded in the CD itself? Do they look up a huge album database to look
for the song name given the album ID or something?

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:00:33 PM

> I use Cdex (open source). It can do automatic db lookups.

I believe I am also using cdex. I may not have set it up correctly;
therefore, it doesn't do the db lookup. I will go back home and try
again.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
March 28, 2005 5:01:06 PM

On 3/28/2005 11:29 AM, jaykchan@hotmail.com wrote:
> I am looking for a MP3 ripper that can automatically find the names of
> the songs that it is ripping. Currently, all I can see is Track# 1,
> Track #2... I will have to manually enter the song names. This is
> especially difficult if the song names are in foreign language such as
> Chinese or Japanese; I will have to translate it into funny English
> names -- a lot of effort and the result is not good. What's the best
> MP3 ripper that can deal with this issue?
>
> My friend has a Apple laptop that runs iTune and I can see that it can
> automatically find the song names for 99% of the song English or
> non-English. Can I find a similar product for PC platform?
>
> How do they find the song name anyway? Does the song name already
> encoded in the CD itself? Do they look up a huge album database to look
> for the song name given the album ID or something?
>
> Thanks.

I use Cdex (open source). It can do automatic db lookups.
March 28, 2005 5:02:38 PM

> How do they find the song name anyway? Does the song name already
> encoded in the CD itself? Do they look up a huge album database to look
> for the song name given the album ID or something?

No, the song title is not on the CD. CDEx and like mp3 software look up
artist, title, song information from Internet databases.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:47:02 AM

In article <ptY1e.10$Gg2.617@news.uswest.net>, Dan <dan@nospam.com> wrote:
>> How do they find the song name anyway? Does the song name already
>> encoded in the CD itself? Do they look up a huge album database to look
>> for the song name given the album ID or something?
>>

>No, the song title is not on the CD.

.... in most cases. There are a few (commercial CDs manufactured by
Sony, and some homebrew CD-R discs) which do include the CD-Info
information in the table-of-contents.

I have no idea whether there are any CD rippers which will extract and
use the CD-Info data.

> CDEx and like mp3 software look up
>artist, title, song information from Internet databases.

Yup, most do.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
March 29, 2005 9:48:30 AM

Kendall
213-268-9221 Cell
kbergheim@sbcglobal.net

<jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I use Cdex (open source). It can do automatic db lookups.
>
> I believe I am also using cdex. I may not have set it up correctly;
> therefore, it doesn't do the db lookup. I will go back home and try
> again.

Click on "Options", then "Settings", then click the tab labeled "Remote
CDDB" and check the box labeled "Auto Connect to Remote CDDB" near the
bottom.

Kendall

> Thanks.
>
> Jay Chan

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:31:33 PM

> No, the song title is not on the CD. CDEx and like mp3 software look
up
> artist, title, song information from Internet databases.

Thanks. This makes sense. This explains the reason why some of my very
old CDs also show up with the right song titles.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:35:59 PM

> Click on "Options", then "Settings", then click the tab labeled
"Remote
> CDDB" and check the box labeled "Auto Connect to Remote CDDB" near
the
> bottom.

Yes, I have found it in CDex. Unfortunately, I cannot use it to get
song titles of East-Asian songs. Although I came across some messages
saying that CDex 1.6.x can handle Unicode and can support East-Asian
songs, I cannot find that version. The only version that I can find is
1.5.1. Oh well...

Now, I am using iTunes from Apple. It can by default get song titles
from web site automatically and it also can get East-Asian song titles.
I also like its "Rating" feature.

Jay Chan
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 6:12:33 PM

"Dave Platt" <dplatt@radagast.org> wrote in message
> I have no idea whether there are any CD rippers which will extract and
> use the CD-Info data.

Sure, Audiograbber does. Probably other too.

MrT.
!